Getting new digital 4 rack today!

Started by TJSlayer, March 02, 2013, 06:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJSlayer

Hello, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the posts they have been submitting, I have learned a lot and haven't even picked the smoker up yet. Will be doing that in a few hours when I'm do e work. Also picked up an igrill, frog ate, bubba pucks and a great assortment of biscuits as they are on sale up here for $12 for 48 packs.

Looking forward to getting this baby seasoned and to start smoking. Also picked up the kitchenaid grinder/stuffer attachment to try thanks at some homemade sausage in a bit.

Going to run everything stock for a long while to see how things go, and looking forward to playing with it.

Thanks for all of the great info on the site.

TJ

Keymaster

Welcome aboard, Can't wait to see your set up :)

beefmann

welcome aboard and cant wait to see what you will be making

Jim O

Welcome TJ.

Sounds like you really " hit the ground running" !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

TJSlayer

Thanks guys, not sure where it's going yet still a lot of snow here. Was thinking of building a cabinet for on the deck and out at the lake but may want to try some sort of temp setup in the garage, opening the garage door and some dryer ducting or something. No windows in the garage so not really sure where I could vent temporarily. Will give it some more thought...

mikecorn.1

Welcome aboard, from south Texas.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

TJSlayer

TJSlayer

Well got a small prime rib and shoulder roast in the smoker now.

About 3lbs on the rib and 2 on the shoulder, going to start at 210 with hickory for about 2 hours and then we'll see how long it takes, I'm guessing 4-5 hours.

Already hungry!
TJ

TJSlayer

Well four hours wasn't enough, pulled out at 130 and was pretty rare, two hours of smoke was a bit strong too, but know more for next time.

Smoker worked great though.

Swim Dad

I bought a elcheapo over range hood for $30 some snap hooks, eye bolts and chain, ran 6" flexible ducting out under the garage door.  Worked real well in the old house and now I have a window.  The tough part was collapsing that flexible duct back into a box for storage.   Works great for inclement rather, even if it snows.  It has no problem pushing the smoke down and out.   Some cut a hole in the garage wall.  Wife didn't like that idea. :)
OBS duel element, duel PID
Weber Genesis 1000 (very old)
Dog
Kids
Wife
(in that order)

TJSlayer

I took the really cheap method 3" semi rigid duct out the top of the garage door. Sit on top of the smoker with a 5" to 3" reducer, takes 90% of the smoke out, depending on how far I stick the hose out.

Trying a chicken style roast with bacon next. Will cut back the smoke time and use apple on it.

TJSlayer

This was my setup for the first go!

drano

Welcome, and congrats on the DBS.
Since your garage is not finished, you may be able to route your vent hose over the top of the wall, into the soffit.  Install a soffit vent if there are none.  Someone with more venting experience can chime in on how well this would work. 

Where did you get biscuits for $12????

TJSlayer

Canadian tire up here had them on sale this week, 48 pack for $11.99, only downside was all I could find was one pack of hickory and one of apple.

They don't seem to stock a lot or have a good variety, but I bought what I could find

fandrews

Canadian Tire seems to be sold of them today, but they're giving rain checks.