Brisket excitement!

Started by ChubbyBadnews, March 04, 2013, 06:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

ChubbyBadnews,

Brisket and smoke they go together like ..... umm.....Sonny and Cher...... nope they are not together.......umm let's see... bread and butter.......or better yet ...... flyfishing and trout!  The more the better in my book.  But with that having been said, many don't like as much smoke as I do. 

Layers is a good thang.  Smoke doesn't stop but keeps layering, but at a much less noticable rate of taste increase.  So whether to smoke for the entire time or not is not only a matter of taste, but also a matter of economics.  Those pucks don't come free.  And since after 4 or 5 hours of smoke there is usually a matter of diminishing returns, many do not smoke longer than that.  If you do stop the pucks, I would keep the puck burner on though - for just that little bit more heat.  A brisket belt brisket is usually cooked with coals - so not as much smoke as one would think. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KyNola

Well I'll be darned!  A brisket thread starts running and lo and behold who should appear but Caneyscud.  Hasn't been around in forever but let a brisket discussion get started and BANG there he is! :)

Good to see you on here again Caney!

KyNola

I am not about to put myself on the same level as Pachanga and Caneyscud when it comes to brisket cooking expertise because I have never lived in TX and I have no idea where my first swing set is nor what it was made of ;D (sorry Pachanga, just couldn't resist but I get what you're saying) but I have a couple things that I do to help with the moisture of a brisket.  First, I trim the fat cap down pretty closely.  Second, I inject the crap out of the brisket with beef stock.  When you think it is injected enough, inject more.  Third, into the smoker for however long you want to smoke it, 4 hours, 5 hours, 8 hours, whatever you think.  When the IT of the brisket hits around 150 or so, here is where I veer off course.  Remove the brisket from the smoker, wrap in foil and before closing the foil add about a half cup of beef stock.  Close the package up and at this point you can either go back in the smoker or you can finish it off in the oven at 225.  When the IT of the brisket hits 180-185, wrap the package in an additional layer of foil and FTC for a couple hours.
After the FTC period, open the package and pour off the liquid that will be in the package into a container.  Don't throw it away!  Defat it and when you slice your brisket, dip each slice into the container of brisket drippings.  Save those drippings for when you make sandwiches(assuming there is any brisket left).  Heat the drippings and pour on the warmed up brisket OR reheat your brisket in the drippings.

Use all of the standard safety practices for a Bradley, plenty of water in the bowl, preheat the smoke generator and tower, etc. Rub the brisket with your rub preference, yada yada yada.

Here is my version of a brisket with many thanks to my friends Ronbeaux, SouthernSmoked and Habs!

I hope this helps you.     

NePaSmoKer

Ky

Thats briskit beauty right there yes sir.

Its nice to see real pics of your smokes/bbq no matter what kind of smoker you have instead of a bunch of

Tenpoint5

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 06, 2013, 11:19:19 AM
Ky

Thats briskit beauty right there yes sir.

Its nice to see real pics of your smokes/bbq no matter what kind of smoker you have instead of a bunch of

Yeah what he said!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Sailor

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

ChubbyBadnews

Oh the deflation!

Just went out to fire up Bradley and the heat element is not heating up. The smoker element is working.

I think I might smoke it for a few hours and either finish it in the oven or maybe fire up the webber bbq and finish it in that.

Of course it had to rain today... Grrrrrrrrrr

All hail the pig... hom nom nom

KyNola

Check the power jumper cable that runs from the generator to the tower to make sure it is firmly seated.  If you have an extra cord that will fit the tower, trying plugging the tower directly into the outlet to see if the element heats up.

ChubbyBadnews

Checked all plugs were in properly but did not try a new power lead, will try that tomorrow. Thanks :)

I have fired up the Webber and am going to smoke it in that. Have actually never smoked in the bbq so quite looking forward to this.

Its going to be a long night. so I'm off to stock up on some beers.

But first, here are some pics

Beef brisket rubbed with Jans rub.

Left that in the fridge for 24 hours. After that I prepared a wet rub using cider vinegar, dijon mustard and more of Jans rub.

I then wrapped it in cling and put it back into the fridge for over 24 hours.

Here goes :)

Nothing like firing up the bbq when its lashing rain.

squirtthecat

That's the fighting spirit!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: squirtthecat on March 07, 2013, 10:33:44 AM

That's the fighting spirit!

I totally agree. Kinda sad you got problems with smokers after

all the great info you got. But do admire the spirit you have and

the recognition of being properly hydrated while smoking meat.

Keep us posted!

Caneyscud

That will be one good tasting bad boy when you finish - just don't post pics - we hate pics!  :-)  Said no one ever!

Erin go Bragh

ChubbyBadnews

First Bradley goes down now Photobucket.. Grrrr (no pics till photobucket is back up and running)

Okay.. 6 hours into the smoke on the Webber and I have to say the brisket is looking goooood. Not such a good bark, to be honest.
There is some but not as much as I was looking for. Saying that, I still have the guts of another 4 hours to go.

Now I will admit that after I had the webber stocked up, smoking and retaining an internal temp of 300'F I was tempted out to the local to catch a ball game and have a few tasty pints. I did call my dad about an hour and twenty mins later and he said it was still reading 300' which I was really happy with. However, when I got home, about another hour later, it was reading 200'F which I was not to happy about. Alas, It was my fault because I noticed that the coal/wood had burned a good bit down, I would say 75% had burned away.. serves me right for abandoning it to go to the pub.. anyway after tossing in a few more coals and splitting a few more logs and leaving the lid off till the flame had died down and.... we are back to a nice heat.

Anyway im assuming that the lack of consistant heat is the reason for the lack of a nice bark? That plus I have not been spraying or basting with anything which maybe was a mistake?

Like I said, I still have a god few hours to go so could be a different story by the time is finished.

Apologies for the lack of pic but Photobucket is acting up. As soon as its back online i'll get the pics up.

Now time for a nice glass of red and go out and sing to the brisket ;)

ChubbyBadnews

Also, from the piece I just pulled you can really notice the smoke ring on the meat. compared to the Bradley, which didn't really have any.

I wonder why that is? Must be something to do with the pucks?

Caneyscud

Complicated, but suffice to say - No combustion - No smoke ring!

Erin go Bragh