• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Genuine American Hot Dog

Started by Geoff_S, March 06, 2013, 10:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_S

OK, in the UK this is a pink plastic tube of barely edible animal product. Some say that it's actually a by product of the paint industry.

Is there a genuine American hot dog recipe that I can try? I know there must be.

devo

Wiener
The wiener is a cured, smoked and cooked sausage. It is a ready to eat sausage or it may be boiled, fried or grilled for serving. The wiener originated about 300 years ago in Vienna, Austria. German immigrants brought this technology to the USA. The terms frankfurter, wiener or hot dog are practically interchangeable today.

Instructions: 1. Grind meats 3/16" plate (5 mm). Keep lean meats separately from fat trimmings. Refreeze and grind again. Refreeze again and grind through ⅛" (3 mm) plate. 2. Mix lean beef with all ingredients adding ⅓ (50 ml) of cold water. Add lean pork and 50 ml of cold water and mix well. Add fat trimmings and the last part (50 ml) of water and mix everything well together. 3. Stuff firmly into 24-26 mm sheep casings.
Form 4-5" (10-12 cm) long links. 4. Hang on smokesticks for 30 minutes. 5. When sausages feel dry apply hot smoke 60-70º C (140-158º F) for about 60 minutes until a brown color develops. 6. Cook in hot water, at 75º C (167º F) until internal meat temperature reaches 155-158º F(69-70º C). This should take about 15 minutes. 7. Shower with cold water for 5 minutes. Keep in a refrigerator.

Tenpoint5

This one from OU812 works really good. Is also a way to get used to poaching Sausage.

Hot Dogs
1 lb porkbutt
1 lb GB (I used 80/20)
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp sweet paprika
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp ground mace
1/4 tsp ground marjoram
1/2 tsp granulated onion
1/4 tsp granulated garlic
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 Tbl salt (Fine sea salt)
1 tsp ground white pepper
1 egg white
1/4 milk (Skim)

Grind the meat 3 times through 3/16" plate put in the freezer 30 min between each grind then add the seasonings mix well then in the freezer again for 30 min and grind again. Or Emulsify in Food Processor. Stuff into 28-30mm Collagen Casings. Tie off in 6 inch links with string.

I poached these so I added 1 Tbl liquid smoke.

Poach in 160-165 degree water until IT of 152. Then cool in ice bath to 100 degrees. During the poaching and ice bath process liquid will form between the sausage and the casing don't fret about it. After the hotdogs cool in the ice bath. Clip to separate and the hotdog should slide right out. We will know that you did it right when you comment about the end product in your hand!! :o ;D ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Geoff_S

Thanks guys. I will try both of those.

Tenpoint5, when you say "Clip to separate and the hotdog should slide right out", do you mean slide out of the collagen casing?

I worry about the end product in my hand though. Must I be gentle?  ::)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Geoff_S on March 06, 2013, 10:52:26 PM
Thanks guys. I will try both of those.

Tenpoint5, when you say "Clip to separate and the hotdog should slide right out", do you mean slide out of the collagen casing?

I worry about the end product in my hand though. Must I be gentle?  ::)

Yes the hotdog will come out of the casing. Let me get on my computer and find the thread where I made these.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tenpoint5

Here is the link to the thread. Your answer as to the hot dogs being skinless and why is on page 3. Should give you a pretty good idea of how I explained the process. I no longer us the food processor to do my emulsification of the meats.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=21956.0

cobra6223

Don't be gentle with them get a cathers mitt as they will come shooting out of the casing. Be prepared they don't look like a store hot dog but they are very tasty have made Chris's recipe several times.

Geoff_S

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 07, 2013, 08:34:10 AM
Here is the link to the thread. Your answer as to the hot dogs being skinless and why is on page 3. Should give you a pretty good idea of how I explained the process. I no longer us the food processor to do my emulsification of the meats.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=21956.0

Thanks a lot. I'm going to try these.

watchdog56

How long will these last in the frig before they go bad without having cure in them?

viper125

I hear ground meat 3 days in refrigerator and 3 months in a freezer. But in the real world i have kept ground meat a week in the fridge lots of times. And if frozen right and no freezer burn have ate it 2-3 years later. But I do try to eat with in 6 months so its fresh as age does steal taste away.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: watchdog56 on March 11, 2013, 05:03:35 PM
How long will these last in the frig before they go bad without having cure in them?

I have 4 kids so IF they last a week I am amazed. Vac sealed and in the freezer they last about a year. I found one missed package that had been in there a year still tasted fresh coming out of -20 degrees

viper125

Only if their hidden real well!  ;) 
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.