Converting Propane Smoker

Started by JColey, June 29, 2004, 12:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrentK

Make sure you drip tray has been put in the smoker so it froms a "V" not an "A" shape.  It's easy to get it put in upside down if your not paying attention.  The hole in the drip tray should funnel everything into the water bowl.

BrentK
Grand Forks, ND

Oldman

Now for my 2 cents worth.  From the picture it looks like there is room on the side of the gas burner to run the generator. Then just use a rectangle water bowl. This way you have not really changed your smoker--only enhanced it.

The part of the generator that goes into the box is just short of 6 inches long and it is 4 inches wide.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JColey

I like your idea but they newer model is slightly different.  The smoke box is larger and actually sits on it's own pull out rack.  What I plan on doing is getting a 3/8" steel plate that will sit over the burner, put the water bowl in the current smoker box rack, and bring the generator in just above that.  I also plan on sealing the lower vents as they seem to do more harn than good.  I just need to get a drip catch that funnels into the bowl and get started!  I probably won't do anything until after the 4th.  I have a lot of smoking to do this weekend.

Thanks again for all the help.  I'll send pics when I get it finished.

Jim

JColey

Well, due to my impending deployment, I have put off my plans for adding a Bradley smoke genterator.  I did try something new though.  I took out the little smoke box and replaced it with a 7 quart cast iron dutch oven.  I got consistant smoke for 5 full hours before it tapered off.  It took a bit longer to get up to temp but once there it remained rock steady all day long.  I think I am just going to stick with this setup until I retire from the Navy intwo years.  Then It's Bradley time!

Take care,
Jim

ListerD

Bump!

JColey - you still around? Any updates or photos of how your rig finally ended up?

ListerD

Tripla - got a picture you can post of the burner and how you fitted it?

mha

Go to www.smokepistol.com there you will find a smoke generator that will work on any grill.
One cartridge last up to 3 hrs.Click on smoke pistol and you will get a live demo.There is also
the grill kicker that produce up to 30 min of smoke.

mha