Converting Propane Smoker

Started by JColey, June 29, 2004, 12:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JColey

I was on the verge of getting a Bradley when my wife surprised me with a gas smoker.  Living in Hawaii the shipping is crazy and I don't want to hurt her feeling so I am considering modifying the propane smoker to accept a Bradley Smoke Generator.  Has anyone tried this in the past?  Do you guys think I can pull this off?  I appreciate any help that can be offered.  BTW, great forum, I have been reading it for about a month now but didn't have anything useful to add.

Thanks,
Jim

JColey

FYI, It's a Great Outdoors Grill Co. 36-inch Propane Smoker.  I am thinking if I lose the smoker box, seal the lower vents, and put the water bowl where the smoker box was then I should be good to go?  I figure I can just have the smoke generator drop off the spent bisquettes into the water bowl like the Bradely.  Anyone see an issue with this idea?  maybe put a cast iron plate over the burner to help distibute the heat more evenly?

Here's a picture of the unit.

Thanks,
Jim
(edited for spelling)

Bassman

Welcome Jim,
I have never converted a smoker but It sounds like you have a plan. My 2 cents worth would be:attach smoke generator on bottom left vent,seal bottom right vent, use top vent for temp/moisture control.
hope this helps, good luck with your project[:D].

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

whitetailfan

Hi Jim,
Couple of thoughts here...I think that Bassman is pretty much right on with his suggestions, with a bit of tweaking...

First off, that looks like an awesome smoker.  Bit bigger than the Bradley, and looks to be double walled insulated so should work very well for you with the smoke generator.  If I could design a unit, it would probably have propane heat, I think you can get it up to temp a lot quicker, and reach the cooking temp you want better.  If there is a drawback to the Bradley it is that I get the slider just where I want the temp empty, but when you load the meat, your air temp plummets and takes a long time to get back to where you wanted to cook at.  If you move the slider up, it still takes a while to move the cabinet temp, and then you would have to adjust it back down as the meat temp increases.

Second observation is more of a potential problem.  I would not put the water bowl where the smoke box is because it is directly over your heat source.  If the burner is supposed to smoke your wood, I think that it would evaporate your water bowl quickly.  Now on a good note, you might be able to get the water bowl over to the side beside the burner and it might work fine.  The other solution to this problem is that you could build an external smoke box for the smoke generator and water bowl, and then pipe in the smoke where your left vent is.  Cut it out and pipe in dryer hose for the smoke.  You can get some more ideas on the threads pertaining to cold smoking and how to remove the generator from the cabinet.  Same principles, just that you are piping in the smoke for different reason.

That's my 2 bits, rather long winded, but hope it helps you out.[8D]

<b><font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green"></b>
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

jaeger

Hi Jim!
I think Bassman and Whitetail are right on. I looked at this smoker before I bought my BS. They have several different models (including one like yours that uses charcoal for fuel) and seem to be well constructed with very heavy duty racks(though not stainless). I think I would try to leave the cast iron chip box in when in use as it will help hold and distribute the heat. You will also still need to use the water bowl as this is going to help add moisture as you are using a hotter fuel source (propane). My suggestion is to A.) Pipe the smoke in as Whitetail suggested or B.) Attach BS smoke generator just above current water pan. As long as you don't crank up the heat to much it should not be to hot. You might lose one shelf but will still have four shelves to work with. I would keep this model and convert it to use the smoke generator with the option of converting it to original state in case you want to use it without electricity. Plus, you will keep the wife happy![:D]

jaeger

Jim,
You will also have to figure out a way to keep the meat juices from dripping on the smoke generator if you install it throug the side of the smoker.

JColey

Thanks for the responses, guys!  I was talking with a buddy that has access to welding and cutting equipment and he thinks we can do this quite easily.  I'm fairly certain that I will be up and smoking semi-Bradley style in no time at all.  In the mean time I am using it as it came and smoking an 8 lb butt today.  I grew up in Oklahoma and had ready access to BBQ but have not found any here in Hawaii so I had to take mattters into my own hands.  I retire from the Navy (submarines) in about two and half years and will probably turn my current model over to a friend and get a Bradley when I get settled back in OK.  Thanks again for the quick replies!

Jim

BrentK

Welcome Jim,

I'll take the other side of this issue.  Swallow your pride...tell your wife how much you love her...and send the propane smoker back.  Why try to jimmy rig ( no pun intended ) a perfiectly returnable smoker  when you can have the real deal...a BS.  I wonder if you may have trouble getting the propane to burn at a low enough temprature to achive a say 110F or less for a truly "cold smoke"  Also propane is inherently moist heat..while electricity is dry heat.  You can always add moisture to your smoking...but its hard to get it out if you start with to much...and your heat source is adding to it.  The shipping costs will seem minor after a month or two with GREAT smoking results.[:D]

Keep us posted on your results no matter which way you decide to go.

Have a GREAT weekend.

BrentK
Grand Forks, ND

JColey

Hi Brent, I would've returned it but I have used it every day since I got it.  It works well, I just want it to work better.  The only real downfall (so far) is that I have to open it up to add more wood every 3-4 hours, then it takes 20 mins to get smoking again.  I realize that I will not be able to cold smoke as it stands.  I am mostly interested in ribs, pulled pork, and poultry. I suspect that the more I use it and the better I get at smoking, I will want to further my abilities and get the Bradley.  Like I said, I only have a couple of years until I retire and move back to the mainland.  I will be getting a Bradley unit for certain.

BrentK

I did'nt pick up on your last post.  I guess I'm to worked up for this weekend...the butcher shop is cutting up a whole King Salmon for me to use this weekend.  Pork Shoulder and Salmon....I hope everybody comes hungry[:p][:p]  Keep the pic's coming as your "new" smoker goes through its modifications.  There's alot of folks with good knowledge here and it seems like most of them have a tip or trick or two to make things work better.

BrentK
Grand Forks, ND

JColey

What I could use is a good picture of the inside of a Bradley.  I am trying to figure out how to keep everything from dripping onto the generator.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

jaeger

Jim,
Click on the home button of this forum or try this link, and then click on the image to enlarge. http://www.bradleysmoker.com/products/smoker/index.htm

JColey

I was looking at that picture but cannot really make out the design on the "drip deflector"?

tripla22

I currently have the same smoker.  About 2 weeks ago I asked them about the smoke generator. There is one thing you can do to gain more smoke since I feel the smoke box burns out the wood too quickly when keeping the temp around 225-235.  I purchased a cheap 6.00 portable grill at Walmart and used the grill base in place of the smoker box and this helps to keep my temps steady and true.  I just rest the grill base on the metal rails.  I am still ordering the smoker generator to convert my horizontal grill into a smoker since I fell this smoker does not have adequate spacing for my cooking events.

tripla22

I currently have the same smoker.  About 2 weeks ago I asked them about the smoke generator. There is one thing you can do to gain more smoke since I feel the smoke box burns out the wood too quickly when keeping the temp around 225-235.  I purchased a cheap 6.00 portable grill at Walmart and used the grill base in place of the smoker box and this helps to keep my temps steady and true.  I just rest the grill base on the metal rails.  I am still ordering the smoker generator to convert my horizontal grill into a smoker since I fell this smoker does not have adequate spacing for my cooking events.