Reuben Sausage

Started by ragweed, March 13, 2013, 01:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragweed

PigsAreTasty's response of adding cheese to my Krautwurst post got me to thinking.  Why not put most of the makings of a Reuben sandwich into casings?  So...I bought a corned beef brisket, sauerkraut, some shredded swiss cheese and a small brick of swiss, just in case.

Ground the brisket coarse, added the kraut and the shredded swiss and mixed well.

I like swiss cheese, so I cubed up the brick and added it to the mix.

Then, I stuffed into hog casings.  Here's where things got interesting.  It didn't seem too wet when I mixed it, but boy, stuffing was a real adventure!  Lots and lots of liquid. (Duh, kraut and pickled brisket?)  I had to break the chain every foot or so and let out the liquid.  Then sorta stuffed by hand.  Didn't turn out too bad though.

I bought a loaf of Schwarzwalder, some 1000 Island dressing (couldn't find Russian) and after a poach to melt the cheese, they were ready to try.

I thought they tasted great!

The next phase is making my own corned beef and sauerkraut (thx Kevin for the link) and maybe adding some NFDM or SPC to soak up some of the liquid.

Thanks for looking!

Keymaster

Those look excellent and great idea!!

Quarlow

OMGWhats your address, I am on my way. My all time fav sandwich is the Reuben. Yummmmmmmyyyyyyy
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

PigsAreTasty

Damn that looks good!
If it stops snowin and blowin this weekend i might have to try a smoked krautwurst, been waiting a while for some half decent weather to try this.

OU812

Now THAT is a gooood lookin Reuben sausage!!

If you want to soak some of that liquid and also make a binder grind up a slice or three of that bread wile your grinding the meat and mix it in

Works when I make a Reuben fattie  ;D

viper125

Looks great! And a great idea. Love rubens. Going to have to try this.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

carnie1

Isn't that funny, just made Reuben soup tonight

SiFumar

Looks great! Did you pre cook the corn beef?

squirtthecat

It's a wannabe pastrami tube steak!

I love it!

pmmpete

Very creative!  I'm impressed.  To reduce the liquid in the mix, perhaps you could squeeze the liquid out of the kraut and the brisket before you stuff the casings?

cobra6223

Your BRILLIANNT!! A good Reuben is hard to beat and hard to find. Very nice looking sausage. Some people when they make a Reuben will grill the kraut, would that help with the moisture content in the sausage?

ragweed

Quote from: SiFumar on March 14, 2013, 08:43:22 PM
Looks great! Did you pre cook the corn beef?

No I didn't.

SiFumar

It wasn't to chewy?  Well any ways it looks awesome!

ragweed

Not chewy at all.  The grinder must have taken care of that.

PapaC

Excellent! I have to try that. Thanks!
I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.