• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Spanish Salchichón Salami

Started by devo, March 14, 2013, 12:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

Had some time today to make 5 lbs. of Spanish Salchichón Salami.

Getting some of my spices together and mixing the T-SPX culture to give it time to wake up. Pork and back fat ground up.

Fridge was full so I needed to keep this cool till I was ready for it.

The recipe

Stuffing into beef middles

Putting the netting on

These will get 72 hours of 68°F and 90-95%R/H and then get 8 hours of cold smoke before getting weighed and put into the dry cure cabinet.

Mr Walleye

Your a sausage making machine Devo!

Looks excellent!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

mikecorn.1

Mad scientist at work. ;) I haven't had salchichón in a long time. Popular stuff in Puerto Rico. With Ritz crackers and a slice of cheese. Mmmmmmm!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

devo

After a 8 hour cold smoke @ 68°F

Weighed the small one for reference

Getting a little full  :)

Top shelf, smoked cheese and a bag of garlic from last summer.
Hanging from left to right, Landjager, Spanish Salchichón Salami, Prosciutto & prosciuttina d'oca, an Italian cured goose preparation

I'm thinking around two months for the Salami but I will keep an eye on it almost every day  ;)

Tenpoint5

It sure got a nice color to it Don
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

devo

Ya and it smells really fantastic from the nutmeg and now the smoke. I will be very disappointed if this don't turn out.

Habanero Smoker

I don't know how it couldn't turn out alright. It looks very good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

Devo, I'd like to be at your house at sampling time - that looks like it will turn out mighty tasty!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

devo

Sampling time has come. They are just under 35% from the starting weight. Just a tad of case hardening. Need to work on that new curing chamber. Going to run higher moistures in it from now on.
The taste was excellent  :)

Mark in Ottawa

Great looking sausage!

Where did you get the supplies (casings, culture, netting)?

Thanks!

Mark (in Ottawa)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

wetzel1977

Very nice Devo i want to start fermenting soon  i will be getting intouch with you in the future. Nice pics
BDS 4 rack
Custom Smoker  W/ BSG/ Auber pid controls
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

devo

Running low on the  Spanish Salchichón Salami. This has to be the best that I have made for a different taste. If you like trying something different give this one a try.

Saber 4

That looks fantastic, one day when I grow up I want to learn to make sausage like this.....

pz

Looks delicious, devo - reminds me of the saucisson we saw in virtually every street market in southern France.  I'm sure to try making sausages one of these days as I become more proficient with the smoker.
My online cookbook: good food & friends