Temp won't go above 215-218 degrees?

Started by What's that great smell?, March 24, 2013, 12:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's that great smell?

Just got a 6-rack digital for Christmas, and went to use it for the 2nd time today.  I noticed that no matter what I set the temperature to, it never goes about 215-218 degrees.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I've noticed that some people modify their smoker with an additional heating element, is that to overcome this issue?

TedEbear

Yes, that and heat recovery times are greatly reduced with a second element.

More details are need to diagnose the problem.  Is the smoker in an area where it is exposed to the wind?  What is the outside air temp?  Is the vent at least halfway open?  Closing it actually reduces the chamber temp by building up moisture inside.  Are you running an extension cord with it?  What are you using to measure the chamber temp with?  The one that comes with the Bradley isn't all that accurate.

Here's a link to some more troubleshooting tips:  Why won't my smoker reach the desired temperatures?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: What's that great smell? on March 24, 2013, 12:00:39 PM
Just got a 6-rack digital for Christmas, and went to use it for the 2nd time today.  I noticed that no matter what I set the temperature to, it never goes about 215-218 degrees.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I've noticed that some people modify their smoker with an additional heating element, is that to overcome this issue?

What are you smoking and how much?

Wildcat

A cold load will keep the temperatures down. Once the meat gets hot the cabinet temp will as well. Keep in mind that you are cooking with a light bulb that produces a lot of heat not a heating element. ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

What's that great smell?

Thanks for the feedback.  To answer the questions posed:

1. The smoker was exposed to some breeze, but I would not call it overly windy.
2. The outside air temp was 40-45 degrees F.
3. The vent was partially open, not quite halfway.
4. I was running an extension cord, a 25' 14-gauge one.
5. I was using the digital display on the unit to read the chamber temperature.  I have a digital thermometer which I can use, but figured I didn't need it with this smoker.
6. I was cooking two 6-7 pound whole chickens, but even when the meat was around 150 degrees the smoker was still holding around 215 or so even though it was set to 280.

Wildcat

Open the vent wide open. Chicken has a lot of moisture that will build in the cabinet which will essentially hold the temps down.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

mikecorn.1

6 whole  birds is a nice load. If your getting to 215 and holding there I would let it ride. Your good. Try to start the cook with hot water in the bowl also. You can also put a couple of bricks in the bottom to retain heat so when you open the door and loosely of it, it will help bring the temp back up quicker.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

classicrockgriller

Quote from: What's that great smell? on March 25, 2013, 08:58:41 AM
Thanks for the feedback.  To answer the questions posed:

1. The smoker was exposed to some breeze, but I would not call it overly windy.
2. The outside air temp was 40-45 degrees F.
3. The vent was partially open, not quite halfway.
4. I was running an extension cord, a 25' 14-gauge one.
5. I was using the digital display on the unit to read the chamber temperature.  I have a digital thermometer which I can use, but figured I didn't need it with this smoker.
6. I was cooking two 6-7 pound whole chickens, but even when the meat was around 150 degrees the smoker was still holding around 215 or so even though it was set to 280.

The extention cord is part of the problem also. Need to keep it to 15ft of a 12 or 14
ga. cord. Also the plug you are using may be used by another appliance. Check to see what all is on that breaker.

Like Wildcat stated, keep that vent MAX open for chicken.

The Bradley thermo is giving you a temp in a fixed location and probably shielded
by the chickens you had in the smoker.

The best place to monitor you temp of the smoker is below the last rack of food
you are smoking. Maybe look into a Redi-Check or other secondary temp device.

I don't think you will see 280* out of the smoker unless it is hot outside, no wind,
and you have no product in the smoker. But you can still reach hot enough temps
to smoke/cook some dang good food.