• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Canadian Bacon done a little different (Picture Heavy)

Started by Tenpoint5, March 27, 2013, 06:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

I have been pondering about doing this for a while and couldn't figure out how I wanted to do it. It had been shuttered to the back shelf as well. Grouperman made his Canadian Bacon and it got me to thinking about it again. So here is my NEW WAY of making Canadian Bacon. I went picture heavy to make it as easy as possible for you guys to duplicate it and have a reference to fall back on.

I started with 5 lbs of pork loin

I cubed the loin up into about 1 inch cubes

Mixed together 5 Tbs of Mortons Tender Quick and 5 Tbs of White Sugar

Mixed everything together and put it in the fridge for 3 days, mixing and stirring everything up once a day.

After 3 days in the fridge I rinsed the cure off and let the cubes soak in cold water for 15 minutes

Then I ran the cubes through the coarse plate on the grinder

After I grinding I was worried about the loin being too lean to stick back together after stuffing it. So I added one  packet of unflavored gelatin

After mixing in the gelatin I reground the meat though the fine plate on the grinder

I stuffed the mixture into 1.79 inch fibrous casings. Now after having done this I think a 2 1/2 or 3 inch casing would also work just as good if not better.

Everybody into the 6 rack for the smoking process. 1 hour @ 120, 3 hours @ 140 with smoke, and about 7 hours at 160/170 until an internal of 152

A quick Ice Bath to cool down

Dried everyone off and they were hung in the garage overnight to bloom. (Garage temp is about 36-40 degrees)

Brought the Canadian Bacon in this morning and peeled the casings off and sliced off a couple slices

The taste test pieces were totally AWESOME!! Had a nice gentle smoke flavor to them and then the sweetness came through. So I sliced up the that whole log and packaged the rest away in the freezer.

Thanks for Looking!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

STLstyle

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

Tenpoint5

Quote from: FLBentRider on March 27, 2013, 06:34:07 PM
Very nice.

Did you fry a piece?

Not yet but I am planning on trying some on a pizza tomorrow night. These casing are only about the size of a Ritz cracker, so they are not really frying size. That's why I think next time I will use either a 3 inch casing or maybe even a bologna casing. So it could be cut thicker and fried, then onto an English Muffin with an egg and some of that Hollindays stuff!! ;D This size is more like what you see in a Kraft Lunchable

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Monkey See . . . Monkey Do.

Going to do this for sure.

Thanks Chris for the post and pictures.

Keymaster

Those turned out fantastic Chris!! Thanks for the great tutorial.

OU812

Lookin gooood

You can skip the gelatine,,,,,,,theres plenty of protein in there to bind it  ;D

viper125

Looks Great! Hope to try when i can. You must never sleep!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

KyNola

Nice going Chris!  That is way cool.  Very nicely done.  Thanks for all those pics.  It helps those of us who aren't as knowledgeable to be able to follow along and hopefully duplicate it.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: OU812 on March 27, 2013, 07:00:38 PM
Lookin gooood

You can skip the gelatine,,,,,,,theres plenty of protein in there to bind it  ;D

That's good to know for the folks that was gonna be out looking for Gelatin. Will give it a shot next time without the added gelatin.

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 27, 2013, 07:37:50 PM
Quote from: OU812 on March 27, 2013, 07:00:38 PM
Lookin gooood

That's good to know for the folks that was gonna be out looking for Gelatin. Will give it a shot next time without the added gelatin.

Add some honey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,youll love it

mikecorn.1

Great thread. Good looking ham.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

ragweed

GusRobin

thanks Chris--this one is definitely on the "must steal and do" list.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.