Another of Dad's Ideas

Started by ragweed, March 27, 2013, 07:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragweed

About the time he started making summer sausage, my Dad began making deer jerky.  Muscle meat, cut with the grain, seasoned and dried in the oven on low with the door cracked.  Standard jerky.  We all loved it, but he thought it was too hard to chew.  He used the phrase, "like chewing on a paint brush".  I don't know if jerky blasters were around in the early 80's, but if they were, he didn't own one.

So...he ground up the meat, seasoned it, then stuffed it into sausage casings.  He then cut "wafers" which he dried in the oven.  It was lots easier to chew and tasted just the same.  Success!

Fast forward to 2013.  Thought I'd make some of his wafers.  I didn't want to waste deer meat in case I botched it, so I bought 5 lbs of top round, cubed it and ground it coarse.  I added:

12 oz Smoking Gun Jerky marinade
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cure #1 dissolved in 1/4 cup distilled water

Mixed everything well by hand and zip locked it for an overnight stay in the frig.  The next day, I stuffed it into 3" casings.

After about 3 hours in the freezer to firm up, I sliced the chubs into wafers and removed the casing.

Then into the dehydrators.  Took about 7 hours.

The result, uniform, little jerky wafers.

Decided to vac seal some and hide it in the back of the freezer to make sure I had some for the upcoming turkey season.

I never have to worry about jerky going bad, it doesn't last long enough!  Thanks for looking!

Gizmo

Jerky Pucks, not to be confused with wood pucks or bubba pucks (aluminum).   ;D
Love it.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

STLstyle

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Consooger

FANTASTIC IDEA!!!!!

Consider this one stolen!!!!!!  8)
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Ketch22

Nice job have to try it thanks  :)

Sailor

Guess there is more than a few ways to make jerky.  Great idea!

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

mikecorn.1

I like it. Different :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

NePaSmoKer

Very nice and easy to take out on walks, hunting, fishing.

OU812

iceman

Kool idea! That's a must try for sure.

Tater

300saum

That is a great idea.  Thanks for the post!

Mark in Ottawa

That makes a lot of sense - will have to give that a try some day just to compare it to the jerky gun.

Thanks!

Mark (in Ottawa)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

jbs402

Good idea, I will have to try.