• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Preheating

Started by Slappy Joe, May 06, 2006, 02:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy Joe

Brand new to the forum and the Bradley Smoker.  I am smoking several racks of pork ribs for the first time.  I preheated the smoker to approx 225 but after putting the four racks of ribs in the smoker the temp dropped to 150 and slowly climbed to about 190.  It's been approx 3 hrs and the temp seems to be staying at 190.  Are there any tricks to get the temp up quicker? and does the vent affect the temp at all?
EAT AT JOE'S
Slappy Joe's

icerat4

leave the vent half open .No biggie and no 190- 205 is a great temp so leave it there. ;D

Slappy Joe

What a great forum discovery.  Thanks Icerat
EAT AT JOE'S
Slappy Joe's

Habanero Smoker

You are going to loose 25%-50% of your cabinet temperature due to meat load and loading time. I usually preheat 50 degrees or more higher then I intend to smoke at. The larger the load, the greater the drop in temperature will be, and the more time it will take the BS to recovery to you set temperature.

The vent will have an effect on temperature, but you need to keep it at least 1/3 open or more to prevent the smoke and moisture from backing out into your generator, and to keep moisture from building up and running out of the door.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smudge

Slappy Joe,

You're going to become familiar with a different time scale after you smoke for awhile. Things happen very slowly in BS cooking. I wouldn't want it any other way. I think a big mistake is to expect your supper magically to be ready at 5 PM. It doesn't work that way. I never expect my smoking project to be tonight's meal. In fact, I think anything still warm from the smokehouse is too overpowering, preferring the mellowed taste of at least 24 hours removed. 

tsquared

Smudge has it right re the time. I'm doing boston butt right now, for Sunday's dinner. I did throw in a few oysters for tonight's dinner, but they don't take long.
T2

Slappy Joe

Thanks for all the info....the ribs turned out great....I left them in about 1 1/2 hrs longer than I expected but well worth it.  Damn they were good.
EAT AT JOE'S
Slappy Joe's

Oldman

QuoteSmudge has it right re the time
Yep tis' so true.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BigSmoker

Quote from: Oldman on May 07, 2006, 05:18:45 AM
QuoteSmudge has it right re the time
Yep tis' so true.

Yes it is ;D.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

car54

Try putting bricks in unused areas. When preheated they hold large amounts of BTU's. Your temps wont drop as much and it comes back quicker.

Brad

IKnowWood

I agree pre-heating with bricks helps when I know I am putting in a lot of material.  It helps recover.  I have not done that in some time.  normally one or two things.  Like 2 ot 3 racks of ribs and some corn. or a Small Roast alone.  no need for the extra bricks.

i will be doing some larger stuff soon and will indeed use the bricks I have reserved and seasoned for the smoker.

i follow Olds approach to Pre-heat, cranked for 1 hour, add material and then every 20 to 40 minutes, cool it till it sits at steady state.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Swany777

Thats what I love about this forum...I've been doing big feeds lately, and have the problem of getting the temp. back to form.  That bricks idea is great...will be doing that next weekend, with 4 racks of babybacks and probably a pork shoulder....

Thanks again all....

Swany

Swany777

This thread got me to do some thinking.  I sometimes use a aluminum roaster pan of water like others have pointed out vs. the standard water bowl.  Do you suppose this allows for better heat retention?  I figure once you get that large amount of water up to temp. it must hold better and make the unit easier to reheat.

If you do this and use bricks for more heat rentention, maybe it is even faster?  Also, are there better items than bricks? thoughts?

TomG

Swany777 quote: "Also, are there better items than bricks? thoughts?"

I use a "brick" that puts out an extra 350 watts of heat 8)

Swany777

yep...i guess that would do it!  I might give the standard "brick" a try this weekend.  Time for some babybacks I think...