Pre Cook Turkey ???????????

Started by bundy, March 30, 2013, 11:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bundy

Going to smoke a whole 11# Turkey for tomorrow and was wondering if I pre cooked it for a couple of hours in the oven if it would be OK. Anybody try that yet?

Don't want to get up at 3 a.m. to put in smoker.

GusRobin

I will let the experts jump in but I would be concerned about its time in the danger zone.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

Can you be a little clearer in what you are going to do. Are you planning to cook in the oven a few hours them immediately transfer to the smoker? You would be better off starting it the Bradley and then transferring to the oven.

You shouldn't cook a few hours, then refrigerate, then place it in the smoker at a later time. Once you start cooking poultry you should finish it from start to finish.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ka Honu

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 30, 2013, 01:09:03 PMOnce you start cooking poultry you should finish it ...

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 30, 2013, 01:09:03 PMOnce you start cooking poultry you should finish it ...

There's nothing else worth saying on that topic.

TedEbear

Quote from: bundy on March 30, 2013, 11:50:00 AMwas wondering if I pre cooked it for a couple of hours in the oven if it would be OK.

You're doing the oven thing backwards. What others have already said plus as the meat cooks it absorbs less smoke. You're sort of defeating the reason of putting it in the smoker if you cook it in the oven first.

You should do the smoking part first and THEN put it in the oven to crisp the skin.

bundy

Thanks all, I put in oven at 325* couple of hours, IT was 110*, transfered to the smoker at 230* tower temp, hit 175* IT in 5 hours, took out wrapped in heavy TF, put in frig.

Will debone in the morning, put in heavy TF with little water, warm to serve in a 325* oven.

Happy Eater All!