Kielbasa with new cannon

Started by fuzzy1, April 11, 2013, 09:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark in Ottawa

All I have to say is WOW!

Those look amazing and with a group of guys like that, I bet it was pretty fun, too!

Thanks for sharing!

Mark (in Ottawa)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

fuzzy1

Quote from: pikeman_95 on April 11, 2013, 04:05:54 PM
Jim
If I had any idea that you were going to do that much at one time I would have loaned you my commercial paddle mixer. It will do over 100# per batch. You do need 240 volt power supply but that isn't too much of a problem. Even my 5 gallon mixers would have been a big break in the mixing process. I do like the idea of having the stuffer on a flip over table. I really don't have any problem filling it in the horizontal position but I guess you could just add a 90 degree base to the stuffer base and set it vertical on the floor. It might be faster to fill and it wouldn't take too much trouble to set it back on the counter. Man that is one large batch of sausage. How hot do you run that big smoker. I think you said that you use a open fire system. Very good looking sausage. Glad to see that the stuffer worked well for you. Did your relatives enjoy the change in the process.
Kirby
Kirby,
I have always wanted a commercial paddle mixer but like I said, one toy at a time. The cannon was a big improvement over the little hand crank enterprise stuffer. Although the older people like to get the younger ones involved by 'letting' them crank the stuffer. They still thought we should do part of it through the little stuffer. I guess I won out this time. They still think the next batch they want to let them crank the stuffer. It would have to be a darn small batch before I do that again. The more I get to use the cannon the more I know I am going to like it. The table was just something that I had around that made it easier and faster to load. worth a try anyway. We really weren't sure what was going to work the best so we tried several different things. Most of the people there were only there to see the new toy I have been talking about so I put them to work helping a little. usually there is three or four of us but it did go well for first time using the cannon.
Jim
Take a kid fishing

fuzzy1

Quote from: drano on April 11, 2013, 07:22:47 PM
Wow.
I'm not sure I'm worthy of hanging out here with my measly 10-15 lb batches.

you have to be kidding. I am looking forward to doing the 10-15 lb batches and experimenting with all your guys recipes. We usually do the big batch twice a year so now that I have my stuffer that I can run myself I am looking forward to doing small batches of hotdogs, brauts, etc to find more sausages that I like.
Take a kid fishing

fuzzy1

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 12, 2013, 02:02:43 AM
Quote from: fuzzy1 on April 11, 2013, 03:58:24 PM
Quote from: devo on April 11, 2013, 03:15:22 PM
Here ya go

Devo.  Thank you for posting the pictures.  Can you tell me how you were able to post them?

Though I'm not a big fan of posting pictures  ;D, here is a Photobucket pictorial that will guide you through uploading and posting your pictures.
How To Post Pictures

Though I must add your photos are informative.

sorry for the pictures, I wouldn't have posted them but I read other peoples comments that they liked to see pictures. And I was pretty proud of our first batch using my now toy, the Kirby Cannon. Thanks for the help and the comments. I will keep the pictures to a minimum in the future.
Jim
Take a kid fishing

Mark in Ottawa

Quote from: fuzzy1 on April 12, 2013, 08:18:05 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 12, 2013, 02:02:43 AM
Quote from: fuzzy1 on April 11, 2013, 03:58:24 PM
Quote from: devo on April 11, 2013, 03:15:22 PM
Here ya go

Devo.  Thank you for posting the pictures.  Can you tell me how you were able to post them?

Though I'm not a big fan of posting pictures  ;D, here is a Photobucket pictorial that will guide you through uploading and posting your pictures.
How To Post Pictures

Though I must add your photos are informative.

sorry for the pictures, I wouldn't have posted them but I read other peoples comments that they liked to see pictures. And I was pretty proud of our first batch using my now toy, the Kirby Cannon. Thanks for the help and the comments. I will keep the pictures to a minimum in the future.
Jim

Jim, I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. We LOVE pictures!

Mark (in Ottawa)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

pikeman_95

Jim
Habs was just kidding [I think] We love pictures. The difference in saying you made 300 pounds of sausage and seeing what 300# of sausage looks like are worlds apart. It is so much more impressive to see.  I was not kidding about the big mixer. If do a large batch like that again you could borrow the big mixer. It would handle each sink full meat at one shot. It does a great job. We have done up to 539# at one time and our butts were dragging. We only were making summer sausage so it went quite fast. Give me a call this evening and I will walk you through the picture process. It is quite simple.

fuzzy1

Quote from: pikeman_95 on April 12, 2013, 09:17:47 AM
Jim
Habs was just kidding [I think] We love pictures. The difference in saying you made 300 pounds of sausage and seeing what 300# of sausage looks like are worlds apart. It is so much more impressive to see.  I was not kidding about the big mixer. If do a large batch like that again you could borrow the big mixer. It would handle each sink full meat at one shot. It does a great job. We have done up to 539# at one time and our butts were dragging. We only were making summer sausage so it went quite fast. Give me a call this evening and I will walk you through the picture process. It is quite simple.
I know all about the butt dragging part. We used to do 600# in a batch. Had two smoke houses going and still did it with a little enterprise hand crank stuffer. Now we are down to one smoke house and about 300# is all it will hold. I would love to try a mixer but like I said before, the old guys like to do it the old fashion way. But then again, I guess they are mostly just there to observe any more. and offer lots of advise. haha. We usually do a batch in the spring and one in the fall right before hunting season so don't be surprised if I call you some time to see if the offer still stands. If you know of any place I might find one fairly reasonable let me know. thanks again
Take a kid fishing

Habanero Smoker

Jim,

Mark and Kirby nailed it.

When you see a smiley face at the end of one of my sentences that is worded like that, don't take it too seriously. The demand for learning how to post pictures and to post pictures, is high that is why I updated the Photobucket pictorial.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

fuzzy1

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 12, 2013, 12:57:27 PM
Jim,

Mark and Kirby nailed it.

When you see a smiley face at the end of one of my sentences that is worded like that, don't take it too seriously. The demand for learning how to post pictures and to post pictures, is high that is why I updated the Photobucket pictorial.
Thank you for posting the pics and thanks for the lesson. haha
Take a kid fishing

Habanero Smoker

You're welcome.

That is a lot of sausage. I don't know how Mike, Kirby and you can make so much in one sitting.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

fuzzy1

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 13, 2013, 01:48:40 AM
You're welcome.

That is a lot of sausage. I don't know how Mike, Kirby and you can make so much in one sitting.
Ha ha ha, there is no sitting involved.   :D
Take a kid fishing

WoodlawnSmoker

I was searching for Kielbasa recipes as I'm going to make some tomorrow and came across this post. I'm bumping it up so other newbies like me can see this.  This is absolutely incredible, fantastic even.  I don't recognize fuzzy1, the original poster, but hats off to you sir, please post more if you're still reading.

cobra6223

HOLY GUACAMOLE!! That much sausage is very cool..

rajzer

Pictures might be cool but I wonder whether the meat stayed cool while the boys were mixing it with bare hands.  For that much sausage a mixer was definately in order. 

fuzzy1

Oh yes the meat stays cool, in fact way cold. you can only mix for a couple minutes and then you you need to take your hands out of the meat to warm up.
Take a kid fishing