• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Big howdy from Ottawa, Ontario

Started by DonOtt, April 23, 2013, 07:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonOtt

My wife surprised me last night with an early Father's Day gift....a Bradley smoker (BTIS1) :D

I'm going to season it this weekend and see what kind of damage I can do.

Looking forward to going through this site to see what's what, check recipes and methods for cooking.

What accessories do I need (want)?

Cheers...Don

TedEbear

Hi Don.  Welcome aboard.

Season your Bradley, according to the instructions, and pick out something basic to start with.  It's hard to mess up a pork butt but they take a long time.  To get to an internal meat temp of 195 it takes 1.5-2 hours per lb.

Here's the popular recipe site that a lot of us use:  Our Time Tested and Proven Recipes

The Maverick ET-732 is a good wireless remote for monitoring the cook temp.  You'll soon read about PID controllers and other things.  It is recommended that you try your new smoker the way it is before doing any extensive mods to it.

Have fun with your new toy.   :)

beefmann

Welcome aboard

as for accessories.. I would Recommend the following

1) maverick et 732
2) frog mats
3) bubba pucks  like these  http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=111 

hope this helps

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska!  Lots of good info here.  Ask ANY questions and remember, we like pictures! 

GusRobin

Quote from: beefmann on April 23, 2013, 11:02:06 AM
Welcome aboard

as for accessories.. I would Recommend the following

1) maverick et 732
2) frog mats
3) bubba pucks  like these  http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=111 

hope this helps
X2= I would wait on any other mods or a PID until you get a feel for what it can and can't do. Well the one other "mod" I would recommend now is to use a foil pan (9X11 or maybe 13?) in lieu of the water bowl. It is great on long smokes as the spent pucks don't pile up. You can get them at the supermarket for a couple of dollars.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

wetzel1977

After your first smoke you will be Hooked !! Good luck remember there is no bad questions ask away
BDS 4 rack
Custom Smoker  W/ BSG/ Auber pid controls
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

Mark in Ottawa

Hi Don,
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Ottawan! You've come to the right place - the folks here are amazing and are a wealth of information.

Happy smoking - you'll be eating better than you ever thought possible!

Mark (in Ottawa)
DBS 4-Rack w/ Auber dual-probe PID
Maverick ET-732

DonOtt

Thanks all....

Maverick ET732 on order.
Frog Mats in queue.
wondering if the bisquette savers are available in Canada (or even better, Ottawa)?

Don

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712