• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Build a Cedar 'hut' or buy a cover

Started by DonOtt, April 24, 2013, 05:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonOtt

Hey folks...

Just unwrapped my smoker, still in the house actually but I'm trying to decide between either buying a cover for it or building a smallish hut to protect it from the elements.

Thoughts?

Thanks....Don

Jim O

I'd go for a shelter of some sort. That way you can still smoke in the rain/snow if you want.

With a cover ,you're just protecting your baby from the inclement weather.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

mez

Here's a small cedar hut I made.It works great I'm able to smoke through thunderstorms and blizzards.Only regret is I wish I would of made it bigger but I wanted it to fit next to the chimney.

drano

Shelter is best.
If you like to build, a custom made would be great.
If not, you can buy various sizes of storage units, which is what I've got (it came with my house when I bought it).

Mez, great job--blends in nice.

DonOtt

That's a sweet looking shed.

I'm a hobby woodworker (even have a website  :D ) so building some kind of shed/hut won't be an issue....I hope

beefmann

i would put it into some kind of protective hut / housing / shed  its a very good idea.. and it adds storage for supplies

Quarlow

Don welcome to the forum. I would love to check your website out. I am a bit of a woodworker also.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

drano

Since you're a wood worker, definitely go that route!
Search here for a few other enclosures people have done, then design your own.
And yes, make it bigger than you think. 

DonOtt

Quote from: Quarlow on April 24, 2013, 11:08:05 AM
Don welcome to the forum. I would love to check your website out. I am a bit of a woodworker also.

Thanks...if you find the time, wander over to www.donebydone.ca  :)

DonOtt

I actually started looking through the forum at sheds etc and got somewhat freaked out when I saw that a few of these have caught fire!

I plan to put the BOS....beside my BBQ.....on my deck which is attached to my house....a tad nervous now

GusRobin

Just don't leave home when it is on; make sure meat is not touching the sides, on long cooks change the water (so it doesn't end up being a bowl of grease, don't put foil on the V tray and you should be alright.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Quarlow

Quote from: DonOtt on April 24, 2013, 11:31:41 AM
Quote from: Quarlow on April 24, 2013, 11:08:05 AM

Thanks...if you find the time, wander over to www.donebydone.ca  :)
Oops Don, you put an e on the end of your name 9www.donebydone.ca0 . I found your site though, the search put it up instead of the other. You gotta love artificial intellegnce, cause without it I would be screwed. LOL
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

Wow Nice woodwork projects Don. Beautiful stuff.

OBS
BBQ

wetzel1977

Wow The looks really nice! 2 thumbs up
BDS 4 rack
Custom Smoker  W/ BSG/ Auber pid controls
Cabelas 160L Dehydrator
Cabelas 1HP Grinder

DonOtt

Quote from: Quarlow on April 24, 2013, 07:17:45 PM
Oops Don, you put an e on the end of your name 9www.donebydone.ca0 . I found your site though, the search put it up instead of the other. You gotta love artificial intellegnce, cause without it I would be screwed. LOL

Sorry  :-[

Yes, that should be www.donebydon.ca
Brain knew what it wanted to type but the fingers got a bit ambitious  :D

Thanks for liking my 'stuff'

Don