• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First time using smoker and a few questions

Started by Lorne, April 28, 2013, 04:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorne

I am a brand new user. Bought my unit yesterday, seasoned as per the book and did a steelhead trout fillet, chicken and a pork tenderloin. Ate the fish and was great (likely smoked it a bit too long - 1 hour dry and 1 with smoke). The chicken looks great and was at 170 degrees when I took it out (used thermometer). Will have it tonight.
Couple of questions - the inside of the smoker is no longer shiny but brown and I assume this is normal and will get darker with use. I assume I should not try to wash this off. Secondly I am smoking outside and will leave it on my deck - should it be covered when not is use. I see there is a Bradley cover I could buy. For now will use a tarp.
Thanks for your help and am looking forward to trying other things like a roast, brisket, ribs, sausage etc.
I plan to live forever. So far so good.

RedJada

Welcome Lorne,

Looks like your off to a great start. You never want to clean the inside of the box. What your seeing is added flavor and gets better over time. Make sure you keep the vent wide open so you dont get the black rain dripping on your food. Just clean your racks, v pan, bowl and tray. If you are keeping your smoker out side. You definitely want to keep it sheltered from the elements. Look around here and get some ideas. A lot of people have build shelters, some are quite simple.

Lorne

I plan to live forever. So far so good.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Lorne on April 28, 2013, 04:14:20 AM
I am a brand new user. Bought my unit yesterday, seasoned as per the book and did a steelhead trout fillet, chicken and a pork tenderloin. Ate the fish and was great (likely smoked it a bit too long - 1 hour dry and 1 with smoke). The chicken looks great and was at 170 degrees when I took it out (used thermometer). Will have it tonight.
Couple of questions - the inside of the smoker is no longer shiny but brown and I assume this is normal and will get darker with use. I assume I should not try to wash this off. Secondly I am smoking outside and will leave it on my deck - should it be covered when not is use. I see there is a Bradley cover I could buy. For now will use a tarp.
Thanks for your help and am looking forward to trying other things like a roast, brisket, ribs, sausage etc.

Your on your way to a well seasoned smoker. Mine is bitch black. Once in awhile i will clean the inside with a ball of foil just to looses some flake. Some use cleaners, I dont. Do however wash the racks, v-tray, water bowl and bottom tray.

Run your vent full open (after temp you can close it down some) but dont close off completely. Covering you have many options like the Bradley cover and the like. I use my 6 rack under the awning of my RV, when the awning is up i have it covered with a large plastic bag with the smoke gen removed.

Enjoy

Wildcat

I also suggest you keep the rubber door seal as clean as you can.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

beefmann

welcome aboard,,,

yes the brown you  see is normal... its from the  smoke from the wood. Also if you are going to be leaving your  smoker outside .. put it into some kind of rubber maid,, suncast cabinet to protect it  when not in  use and protect it from weather such as  rain , snow and other  elements. the cabinet will help with higher box temps

ddtdustin

Lorne
I have had my OBS since Nov 09 and I also bought the Bradley Cover around the same time.  Mine has been store outside on a cover deck ever since (I live in KS so rain/snow/heat).  I have been happy with the Bradley cover but a lot of people will store/smoke in a shelter.  The shelter helps mitigate the effects of winds and ambient temperature during smoking.  The Bradley cover fits the complete unit and is made of Polyester with a PVC backing.  Mine has grayed over time but is still in pretty good condition. (Gauging quality off of similar covers for LP grills sitting next to the OBS).
Enjoy your new smoker
DDT