Question for NePaSmoKer about keeping organized and clean when making sausage

Started by pmmpete, April 30, 2013, 08:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmmpete

When I get done making sausage, my kitchen looks like a bomb went off in a hamburger factory.  I understand that NePaSmoKer is currently operating out of a recreational vehicle, which probably has pretty limited space for storing equipment and supplies, and for operating.  So I'm totally dazzled by the amount and variety of sausage which he produces, despite the constraints of working in a recreational vehicle.  NePaSmoKer, do you have any suggestions and recommendations for keeping your work space clean, tidy, and organized when making sausage?

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Clean as you go. Have an extra meat lug to centrally locate dirty dishes and utensils.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Yup

I know its time consuming.

I cut/grind. Then clean up.
Mix and then clean
Stuff, clean again then smoke.

I did 75 lbs of venison and it took me a week to do from cut to smoke.

destrouk

destrouk

but really im the same after every stage I clean everything ..then carry on

ragweed

I have to clean as I go.  My little "meat kitchen" probably isn't much bigger than Nepa's RV!

NePaSmoKer

Its easier to clean as you go. Even in the house back up in PA i hated the bowls, grinder/stuffer things to pile up. Clorox has new wipes out now that cut oils and grease.

drano

I agree--do a step, and clean up.  Rinse and repeat.
Last time I did 15 lb of summer sausage, it took 6 hours to cut, grind, stuff.  Of course, there were 3 cleanups as part of that process.
Keep thinking about your process, and you'll fine tune it for your needs.

hal4uk

Heck, I was just making a simple tossed salad one day, and Rick just snatched me up, from behind, by my feet, and washed me.
THERE!  That's better!

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

GusRobin

Quote from: hal4uk on May 02, 2013, 08:16:45 PM
Heck, I was just making a simple tossed salad one day, and Rick just snatched me up, from behind, by my feet, and washed me.
THERE!  That's better!
Someone had to! ;D ;D ;D ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

tskeeter

To speed my in process clean up, I run a sink full of hot soapy water before I start.  It's always ready to wash hands, or to wash whatever knives, cutting boards, or other things that I've used.  Wash, rinse, and let drain.  I do find that after I've cleaned the meat grinder, I often need to change my wash water.

Sailor

So I guess saying to your Bride......Get in here and clean up this mess......is totally out of the question  :o  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

drano

That would depend on how comfortable the dog house is as long term accommodations.  ;D

beefmann