• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smokey Blue Cheese Burgers

Started by Maryland Crab, May 12, 2006, 12:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maryland Crab

Tried these several days ago and wow!

1 1/3 pounds ground sirloin
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 shallot, minced
1/4 pound blue cheese, crumbled

1. Take your ground sirloin and cold smoke it for 40 minutes using two biscuits.  I used hickory. Combine the sirloin and next three ingredients and divide meat mixture into 4 equal amounts.  Form into 4 patties but while forming each patty, nestle a pile of blue cheese crumbles into the center of the meat, and gently form patty around cheese.

2. Brush or drizzle burgers with olive oil and grill.  Serve on split rolls with lettuce, tomato and blue cheese dressing.

gpsmoker

Ok...you hit me where I live! Just did something similar last weekend, only real difference was instead of the blue cheese, I used a an English cheddar which has carmelized onions in it. Dang! Now I am hungry again...time to hunt up some Stilton. Great recipe!

Greg
When it's brown its cooking....when its black its done!

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven

IKnowWood

We have done similar with Gorgonzola Cheese and it is great.  Course not smoked.  I think smoking the ground before making the burgers sounds good.

what we normally do for simple bergers is mix Lipton Onion Soup mix with the meat and grill.  Adds lots of flavor and is just great.

I think we will give the Gorgonzola / Blue Cheese burgers a try...
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

acords

One of the Holiday Inns I stay at has a Burger called The Juicy Lucy.  Grilled/Broiled hamburger with cheese in the middle.  I've had it with Blue Cheese, Pepper Jack, and American.  I think my favorite is the pepper jack.  I think I know what I'm making for supper.  I'm going to try the cold smoke.  Great idea!!
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

MallardWacker

Smoked burgers, there is nothing like them...  I have always made this comment when it comes to them...that is the only time a burger tastes good when you reheat it.  You can just grill them and try and do that and they never taste the same but a smoked burger seems to taste just as good if not better.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

manxman

I often melt some blue cheese onto the top of a burger or (occasionally) steak when I am grilling them, this takes it up a level and sounds "to die for". :P :P :P
Manxman

iceman

MW point me in the right direction for making a smoked burger. Do you cold smoke then grill?
Quote from: MallardWacker on May 15, 2006, 06:51:42 AM
Smoked burgers, there is nothing like them...  I have always made this comment when it comes to them...that is the only time a burger tastes good when you reheat it.  You can just grill them and try and do that and they never taste the same but a smoked burger seems to taste just as good if not better.

MallardWacker

Ice,

Actually I cook them all the way in the BS...that is my favorite way.  Very distinct.

Here are some I made photos of...gotts sum of that there guack-a-molee on 'em.  EXCELENTENTO

"Good if not better"...understatement!

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

iceman

Looking good there MW. Thanks for the post.

tsquared

Quoteguack-a-molee
That has to be an MW original!
T2

Oldman

guack-a-molee looks ok. But those tomatos look better.  ;D

EDIT: Does anyone beside me age their beef that you grind up for hamburger? I do it so I can have rare to med-rare hamburger without the worries.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

Quote from: Oldman on May 15, 2006, 09:02:04 PM

EDIT: Does anyone beside me age their beef that you grind up for hamburger? I do it so I can have rare to med-rare hamburger without the worries.

Olds, that is thing I wish I had room for i s to grind my own burger.  There is a place In Conway, AR that we will be going to for my son's graduation dinner that grinds their own stuff.  It is one of the few places that a burger actually tastes like a great sirloin off the grill.  And one of the few places that will let you get Medium Rare (Ya Baby).

About the tomatoes, even though we have a fair amount of commercial farms, getting tomatoes at the store is still like picking a girl out at the bar when you have been drinking for the past three hours, they look great but when you get them home it could be another story...so I've been told.  To me the only mater is the one grown at home.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

asa

MallardWacker wrote: "Actually I cook them all the way in the BS...that is my favorite way.  Very distinct."

How long does that take, and what wood do you use? I assume you crank the temp all the way up for the duration(?)
     Thanks,
          asa

Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

iceman

Never even thought about that Olds. How do you go about it? I know the wet aging you taught me about with the brisket works like a million bucks as far as flavor enhancing goes.
Quote from: Oldman on May 15, 2006, 09:02:04 PM
guack-a-molee looks ok. But those tomatos look better.  ;D

Olds

ListerD

Hah! One of my favorite burgers on the grill...  ;D

Whole wheat bun
Burger cooked to your favorite level

On the bottom bun - POM (Plain Old Mustard), sliced green pepper and onion rings
On the top bun - BBQ Sauce and blue cheese

Throw on the burger and enjoy  :D