Mortons Tender Quick!

Started by wkahler, May 07, 2013, 01:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkahler

Was in amish country and bought me two bags of Mortons Tender Quick. Looks like i get to start experimenting with it now.
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

beefmann

very cool...

here is a  recipe to get you started for ham, Canadian bacon ( pork loin ) or pastrami

1 tbsp morton tender quick / lb
1 tbsp brown sugar / lb
1 tsp onion powder / lb
1 tsp garlic powder / lb
1 tsp ground mustard / lb

i also have used 3/4 tsp tender quick per lb  to cure and let stand for 7 to 8 days,,, 12 hours before  smoking/ cooking also inject apple juice or cider at a  rate of 2 oz per lb

good luck and  enjoy

wkahler

Rock on trying it on two slabs of bacon this weekend to see what kind of damage i can do.  From reading i can use it and omit the salt and cure from the recipe so i should be good.  Hate to ruin 30lbs of bellies LOL!

beefmann

yes you can omit the salt and insta cure # 1 and # 2

KyNola

The ratio of MTQ per lb of meat is completely different than the ratio of Cure #1 and #2 per lb of meat.  Don't confuse the two.

wkahler

Quote from: KyNola on May 08, 2013, 07:08:28 AM
The ratio of MTQ per lb of meat is completely different than the ratio of Cure #1 and #2 per lb of meat.  Don't confuse the two.

I just go off the measurements on the back of the bag i am guessing for bacon and jerky correct?

Habanero Smoker

It has been a while since I've used Tender Quick. First make sure you don't have the Morton Smoke Flavored Sugar Cure. The last person that posted they were in Amish country and bought some Morton Tender Quick, they actually purchased Morton Smoke Flavored Sugar Cure. That is not the same as Morton Tender Quick or Morton Sugar Cure, and it can not be substituted for Morton Tender Quick or Sugar Cure.

If the measurements you are referring to is 1 tablespoon per pound, then that is the correct manufacturers stated recommendation. .

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

wkahler

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 08, 2013, 01:20:51 PM
It has been a while since I've used Tender Quick. First make sure you don't have the Morton Smoke Flavored Sugar Cure. The last person that posted they were in Amish country and bought some Morton Tender Quick, they actually purchased Morton Smoke Flavored Sugar Cure. That is not the same as Morton Tender Quick or Morton Sugar Cure, and it can not be substituted for Morton Tender Quick or Sugar Cure.

If the measurements you are referring to is 1 tablespoon per pound, then that is the correct manufacturers stated recommendation. .
LOL that was me that got the smoke flavored last time LOL!!  I thought i was on to something but i do have two bags of that sitting around for possible trying to salt cure a ham with it just not sure about that yet.

Habanero Smoker

Well! Thats good news for me, that my memory is not completely shot! Now if I can only remember names. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)