• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Looking ahead to next sausage

Started by terry08, May 22, 2013, 03:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry08

Wanting to make one that will knock your socks off. This will be a venison jalapeño & cheese, which I have made many times. Instead of the high temp cheese, I am thinking about dicing up some of my smoked cheddar and using it. Do you think it will add another level of flavor or just get lost in the mix? Don't want to waste my smoked cheddar. I value your opinions.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

KyNola

I say give it a shot.  Nothing ventured nothing gained.  You can always smoke more cheese.

GusRobin

Don't know until you try. If you are concerned, make a small test batch.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

terry08

Kynola I thought of that, but the long wait for the cheese to age drives me crazy. This batch just got ready. Lol

Kevin A

Quote from: terry08 on May 22, 2013, 03:40:50 AMDo you think it will add another level of flavor or just get lost in the mix? Don't want to waste my smoked cheddar. I value your opinions.
I DO think it will add to the overall 'smokey' profile even if you smoke it—but HOW much it adds is difficult to gauge without a control group of sausage for comparison. If you don't smoke the sausage (fresh), then, yes, I definitely think your smoked cheese will be evident.

Kevin

Sailor

Terry, Not sure what recipe you are using.  With my recipe I use 5lbs of pork and 8oz of cheese.  I would not be concerned at all about using 8oz of smoked cheese even if it turned out not to your liking.  8oz of smoked cheese is not the end of the world as you can always smoke up another batch.  My thinking is that the smoked cheddar will add a great flavor to the fresh sausage and be worth the experiment.  The great thing about making your own sausage is the you can try different things and you never know when you mix something up that is outa da park.  I say damn the torpedos and go full speed ahead.  Please let us know how it turned out.  I may have to adjust my recipe.   ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

terry08

Sailor, I'm going for it. If it turns out great I will have to smoke more cheese for the upcoming deer season. Need to know now so it has plenty aging time.
I really like this recipe for venison.
http://www.lets-make-sausage.com/venison-sausage-recipes.html