• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Sodium Nitrites

Started by Piker, May 22, 2013, 12:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piker

There is a study going on that states that sod nit. are causing a lot of cancer. I was under the impression that was a story started a long time ago without any proof. Some of the meat processors are now saying that they are going all natural and they are using celery juice as sodium nitrite. So I am wondering if celery contains sd. nit. or does it  do the same job? Any info would be appreciated. Thks Piker. Also very deep felt condolences for the people of Oklahoma our heart goes out to them.

Habanero Smoker

The studies are numerous, and most are complex, so you would be better off googling "sodium nitrites and cancer" or "sodium nitrate and cancer". This was a major concern in the 1970's, and lately it has been popping up again. The main concern is that residual nitrites in meats that are cooked at high temperatures, such as crisping bacon, grilling hotdogs and other sausages will produce carcinogenic nitrosamines. The USDA has determined that the levels of nitrites they set for the commercial producer will leave very little residual nitrites in the food, and if those residual nitrites produce carcinogenic nitrosamines, they are at a very low and safe levels. One of the reasons the USDA banned sodium nitrate in any food that will be cooked, is because they generally will leave more residual nitrites in the food. There are other claims out there, you would have to judge for yourself if the are from a reliable source.

As for the latest trend "Nitrite Free", in my opinion is false. All plants contain potassium nitrate, which they get from the soil. Celery juice powder has a high concentration of potassium nitrate. Potassium nitrate is also called saltpeter. Potassium nitrate must covert to Potassium nitrite to provide any protective properties and with it, its distinct flavor. So eventually want occurs is that the Celery Juice Powder is the source of Potassium nitrate, which will break down into Potassium nitrite, so you food is being cured with a nitrite. I would not recommend using Celery Juice Powder for home use, because it is not as predictable as sodium nitrite, or potassium nitrite. In commercial use, manufacturers that use Celery Juice Powder in their products also use cure accelerators, and bacteria starters (theses starters are added to ensure there is enough beneficial bacteria to convert the Potassium nitrate into Potassium nitrate). They also can control the environment better, so the bacteria has the optimum conditions to grow.

As far as I'm concerned a nitrite is a nitrite, now matter if the source is manufactured as in sodium nitrite or sodium nitrate. Or if it comes from a natural source Potassium nitrate (saltpeter).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Piker

Thanks h.b. for the explanation. I will print this and show it to all the naysayers that always ask me what I have in my sausages and luncheon meats. If they do not like what it says obviously they will be off my list. Thanks again.piker

Habanero Smoker

Yesterday, I didn't have time to link you to some useful articles and information. You should print out the article in the NY Times. That is very informative.

Sausage Maker sells Celery Juice Powder, I just went to their website. They have added more information to their site. In the past they just sold the ingredient without directions.

Sausage Maker Celery Juice Powder

New York Times Article on Celery Juice Powder

I
         don't
                   inhale.

SmokinSignals

Habs, both links take you to the Sausage Maker website.  Can you relink the NYT article, I would like to peruse it myself, thanks.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: SmokinSignals on May 23, 2013, 02:08:12 AM
Habs, both links take you to the Sausage Maker website.  Can you relink the NYT article, I would like to peruse it myself, thanks.

Thanks for letting me know about the wrong link.

I corrected it and the link now takes you to the NY times article.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

NePaSmoKer

Wrote by Michael Ruhlman who is far more versed on this issue than other folks here.

The Pink Salt Issue: Is Sodium Nitrite Harmful

The quick answers:

—Sodium Nitrite (aka pink salt, which is sold under various names such as DQ Cure #1 and Prague Powder #1) is by regulation 93.75% sodium and 6.25% nitrite.

—Its fundamental property from a health standpoint is that it kills bacteria that cause botulism in smoked and ground meat.

—The great advantage of using sodium nitrite is flavor: it's what makes bacon taste like bacon and not spare ribs, what makes ham taste like ham and not a pork roast, and corned beef like corned beef and not pot roast.

—You do need to handle it with care because it's toxic if you ingest it directly.  It's colored pink to prevent accidental ingestion.  Keep it out of kids' reach.  According to this link on Oxford University's site, the exact toxicity is 71 milligrams per kilogram.  I weigh nearly 100 kilograms.  That means if I ate 7.1 grams, it could kill me (by binding the oxygen carried by my blood to the hemoglobin, making that oxygen unavailable to my cells).  That's about a teaspoon.  If you're a petite 110 pounds, 1/2 teaspoon would be toxic.  This article on its toxicity suggest an even lower amount is harmful.  Bottom line: Don't be afraid of it, but keep it well identified, and use it only as a recipe calls for.

—In the amounts called for in curing meat, and in the amount we commonly eat, it is not harmful in any meaningful way.  Indeed, used properly, it's beneficial.  It's an anti-microbial agent (i.e. kills bad bacteria), and it creates great flavors and appealing color.

Many think of sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate to be harmful chemical additives and have heard that they can be carcinogenic in certain situations.  Here is my position on these issues:

Nitrates and Nitrites are naturally occurring chemicals that our bodies rely on for a number of reasons.  Green vegetables such as spinach and celery are loaded with them.  Of all the nitrite in our bodies, as much as 93% of it comes from the nitrate in vegetables.  Our bodies naturally convert nitrate into nitrite, which works as a powerful antibacterial agent, particularly in an acidic environment (such as in our stomachs).

In the 1970s, concerns arose that nitrites could be carcinogenic.  Current studies conclude that large quantities (as in contaminated water) can do serious damage, but that the quantities added to food do not.  Indeed, as one study put it, "Since 93% of ingested nitrite comes from normal metabolic sources, if nitrite caused cancers or was a reproductive toxicant, it would imply that humans have a major design flaw."[1]

And The American Medical Association reports that as of 2004, "given the current FDA and USDA regulations on the use of nitrites, the risk of developing cancer as a result of consumption of nitrites-containing food is negligible."

It's my belief that companies advertising their products as "nitrite-free," are either uninformed themselves or are pandering to America's ignorance about what is healthy and what is harmful in our foods.  In other words, the term "no nitrites added" is a marketing device, not an actual health benefit.

Use pink salt in the quantities recommended in the recipes and eat a balanced diet.

Here is his link about celery juice powder.
http://ruhlman.com/2011/05/the-no-nitrites-added-hoax/

iceman

All good information gentleman. Thanks  :)