Cheese and vac-seal question

Started by Toker, May 24, 2013, 07:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

Hi, i just opened an old cheese vac-sealed from January and i remarked some moisture inside the vac-seal bag. Any idea what caused this moisture and how to avoid this to happening next time? THX.

P.S. When i vac-sealed my cheeses, it was completely dry. I've let it dry into paper towel several hours before vac-sealing them.

pensrock

My only guess is maybe there was still a little heat, so when it hit the fridge it turned to condensation. Try cooling to room temp then putting into the fridge for a little while then vac sealing. I'm just guessing cause I do not waste the time to vac seal my smoked cheeses. I've had cheese in the fridge over a year old and it was great. But once you cut it you need to use it or it will get moldy like any other cheese.

ragweed

Just thinking out loud.  Maybe you had a pin hole develop in the vac bag.  That would account for the moisture.  That's happened to me before while moving stuff around in the freezer.

Toker

Thanks for the replies. Somebody else over here in my area suggested me that it was caused by pilling to much one over the others. So, with the cheeses weight, it might have squeezed the one in the bottom causing them to expel some moisture. It is true that I've piled over 60 pieces in my drawer. Might be a bit to much. What do you think about this explanation?