Question For Tenpoint5

Started by terry08, June 02, 2013, 06:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry08

Your shrimp sausage, has been driving me nuts. I plan on doing a batch very soon. My question is, why did you boil the shrimp prior to smoking, was it for flavor of the boil? I have a friend who makes it in Louisiana, but does not boil his shrimp. He mixes Zatarain's Pro Boil, with his seasoning, not sure of how much, but the sausage is fantastic. I will check with him for recipe. But yours looks mighty good.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Tenpoint5

3 reasons

1 Safety I give sausage to some of my friends and family. Not knowing exactly how they are going to handle the end product. I don't want or need them eating tainted raw seafood

2 Flavor

3 I want the boil water for even more flavor
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

terry08

That's the answer I was expecting. Just my thoughts on this, shrimp skewers on the grill cook in as little as three minutes. Seems to me in the smoker the shrimp would be done way before the pork, so safety should not be an issue. This being said, I will adhere to your recipe for my first try, with the addition of Zatarain's dehydrated onions, and fresh jalapeño peppers. Can't wait for this smoke.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on June 02, 2013, 06:37:39 AM
3 reasons

1 Safety I give sausage to some of my friends and family. Not knowing exactly how they are going to handle the end product. I don't want or need them eating tainted raw seafood

2 Flavor

3 I want the boil water for even more flavor

Yup thats the way

At least your not an arrogant, pompous individual, who has poor skills in communication, and often resorts to personal attacks.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: terry08 on June 02, 2013, 07:12:59 AM
That's the answer I was expecting. Just my thoughts on this, shrimp skewers on the grill cook in as little as three minutes. Seems to me in the smoker the shrimp would be done way before the pork, so safety should not be an issue. This being said, I will adhere to your recipe for my first try, with the addition of Zatarain's dehydrated onions, and fresh jalapeño peppers. Can't wait for this smoke.

2 things here

1 Try the recipe as is just once before altering it. You may be surprised
2 Yes shrimp cooks faster than pork does. However when it is sitting in the fridge or in their cooler. Which one is going to spoil faster? I MAY AND PROBABLY AM wrong in this assumption, but I am not willing to take the chance on my family and friends so I will always err on the side of caution.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

terry08

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on June 02, 2013, 07:31:05 AM
Quote from: terry08 on June 02, 2013, 07:12:59 AM

2 things here

1 Try the recipe as is just once before altering it. You may be surprised
2 Yes shrimp cooks faster than pork does. However when it is sitting in the fridge or in their cooler. Which one is going to spoil faster? I MAY AND PROBABLY AM wrong in this assumption, but I am not willing to take the chance on my family and friends so I will always err on the side of caution.
I understand and am in full agreement and with you. I will make 5 lbs of yours & 5 lbs of the other for comparison. Simply because my friend uses the peppers and onion in his and it is very good also. By the way, I have been reading your posts for a long time and if you were ever wrong, I must have missed that post. Yourself, Nepa, Kynola, and several others here are a wealth of information.

cobra6223

if this group of guys and their world book of knowledge gives advice, it's MONEY!! the research they do and things they try on here are the best, to the guys I have met since being here hold my deepest respect so if they say something most people listen. Thanks guys for all your help in the past and in the future.