Hot smoked duck breasts

Started by Charlie Ritchie, May 09, 2006, 05:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Ritchie

Hi there everyone

Can anyone advise me on the best way to hotsmoke duck breasts. Am I right in thinking that they have to be dipped in boiling water before brining in order to reduce the amount of fat under the skin? Or did I imagine reading this somewhere???!! ;D ;D

Thanks

Charlie

winemakers

The food of the gods! I have had success in skinning the breasts, but wrapping with bacon during the smoke.  In particular, the last go 'round I used a flattened breast on the bottom, stuffed with feta and seasoning of choice (thyme, S&P, minced galic), 2nd breast on top, bacon wrapped this critter and hickory smoked.

No leftovers and the house guests wouldnt leave.  I would call that a smashing success.

mld

Habanero Smoker

Do a search on duck breast. Kirk (Chez) posted some good instructions on this. I never heard anything about poaching the breast first. The way I get the fat to render out is to carefully prick the skin in several places, deep enough to penetrate the fat, but making sure you do not pierce the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Chez Bubba

IMHO,

You cannot render that amount of fat with a smoker temp unless you're willing to go a really long time, which unfortunately, no amount of fat will save the meat from being dry & overcooked.

My best advice is cold smoke them, then traditionally pan fry. Details, as Habby said, are in another thread.

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?