Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

Hey FL...what are you gonna do with those country ribs?

FLBentRider

LQ,
I put the rub I use for pork butts on them. Back into the fridge until tomorrow. I'm going to put a few hours of Hickory on them and then evaluate wether to wrap them in foil and finish in the oven or what... Just sort of playing it by ear, or should I say smoking it by nose...

rare form tonight...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

I love country ribs...I do the same...just wondered if you were gonna do something different...heck...I chop them up and put them in chilli too...the smoke adds a nice little taste to a "regular chilli".

bigredsmoker

I wasn't planning on smoking this weekend, but now I think some ABT's and some whole chickens are in order for Sunday. Need to shop today so I can get the birds in a brine overnight. In my opinion the only way to do chicken anymore is after a good brine. THey come out so moist and juicy it's incredible. Now I'm getting hungry. ;D ;D

Gizmo

lox

Called La Quinta to find out what she had done on the plate she brought to the race trace.  She steared me to Old's website and whitetailfan's recipe.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

FLBentRider

report -

The beef roast - put it in the oven today - probe thermometer in oven said 140. "trusty" found 180 in spots - !!! - I need to check the calibration on that one. It was overdone - dry - well... perfect if you like medium-well (we do not)

Country style ribs - 4 hours smoke, 3 more hours in OBS @200 - a little drier that I wanted as well - tomorrow they will get a foil boat , AJ/JD and 90 minutes in a 200 oven.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Wish I could tell ya FL how many times I have done that...too many to re-count...the good news is...you can do all kinds of fun stuff with the meat now...:)

Gizmo

Just a little LOX.

Now to wait a day or so.

Yes I did slice off a few taste tests.   :P

La Quinta

Yumm...Well done Giz...it works...and is really tasty!!! And easy!!

westexasmoker

This weekends menu - tonight steak and taters - Saturday beef and chicken fajitas, refried beans, southwestern corn and of course rats and some pens ADT's.  Brisket going in saturday night for sunday's feast!  Sunday  looks like a load of jerky, some crab stuffed mushrooms and more rats and ADT's, thats if I survive saturdays adts  ;D  Of course all smoked with ________ (fill in the blank)  Have a good weekend everyone!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Consiglieri

grilling burgers and dogs for the boy's 1st birthday.  I wanted to make a bunch of pulled pork, but my past practices of turning knobs, frowning and opening beers have come back to haunt me.  Wifey doesn't want me to "be locked on that smoker for hours on end..." and I don't want to come clean (and tell her the smoker minds itself) and ruin a good thing.   8) 

So burgers, dogs, potato salad it is.  Juiceboxes for the kids and many iced Sierra Nevadas available for the adults.  The irony is I'll be working harder around the grill than I ever would have around the smoker. 
Consiglieri

Smoking Duck

True on the working harder portion, Consig, however, keeping the secret from the wife is priceless.  Wise move, my friend, wise move. ;)

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

FLBentRider

I just put in a couple of Chickens, and I have some more beef ribs.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gizmo

Who Is Smokin' This Weekend......It was almost me today. and not by the desert heat.

Went out to the desert for my son's (UCSD) senior class project which involved rockets (One of his class mates is on the launcher in the far background.  Ok so I am an old rocketeer from a long time ago but more like the rocket on the left and not like the other ones shown in the picture.  The Orange Rocket on the right, on its second flight, with a very large rocket motor, malfunctioned on the launch pad, tried to lift of the rail 3 times and actually made it off the rail, unfortunatly.  After just clearing the launch pad with a badly burning motor (top down burn instead of bottom up), the rocket fell on the ground and became what is know as a ground alligator.  It initially started moving away from us and down the flightline on the left when it made a sharp U-Turn and headed directly for me and the flight coordinator.  He moved to his left and jumped about 6 inches off the ground.  I followed the same movement except I think I had at least 2 to 3 feet of vertical height.  At this point the rocket hit a bump on the ground and started to elevate.  My jump was about 3 inches too short.  I have a pretty good bruise and 2 large scrape marks where the fins raked the ankle and calf of my leg.  It was probably a good thing it hit me though.  Had it went under me, it would have flown right into a large crowd of students that were initially sitting down.  Very exciting to see a rocket make a U-turn and head right for you, almost like it had guidance and I was the target. 

Left Rocket is a small Estes C size solid rocket motor.  Right Rocket (the self guided Rocket) had a solid rocket motor but it was a H series I believe.  Makes the Estes type motors look like a bottle rocket.  Rocket in the back (from my son's group) is a Hybrid Rocket using Oxygen and Nitros.

Don't know what type of engines are in the fairly large rockets.  These were not the largest to be launched either.  The stands with big fuzzy socks picture around the rockets in the middle are actually a sound crew's microphones.  There was a video game group out there recording launches for some video game they were designing.