• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cure #2 question

Started by KyNola, June 28, 2013, 09:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

I am taking a stab at lonzino which calls for Cure #2.  According to Len Poli, a tsp of Cure #2 weighs approximately 6 grams.  It is my understanding that you measure Cure #2 the same as you do Cure #1, meaning 1 tsp per 5 lbs of meat.  My pork loin is 3 lbs which by math would equate back to 3.6 grams of Cure #2.  My scale will not measure grams in tenths so I went to 4 grams of Cure #2.

Does that sound ok to you guys?

Thank you for your advice and knowledge.

Larry

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: KyNola on June 28, 2013, 09:45:15 AM
I am taking a stab at lonzino which calls for Cure #2.  According to Len Poli, a tsp of Cure #2 weighs approximately 6 grams.  It is my understanding that you measure Cure #2 the same as you do Cure #1, meaning 1 tsp per 5 lbs of meat.  My pork loin is 3 lbs which by math would equate back to 3.6 grams of Cure #2.  My scale will not measure grams in tenths so I went to 4 grams of Cure #2.

Does that sound ok to you guys?

Thank you for your advice and knowledge.

Larry

4 g is 3/4tsp

tskeeter

Larry, my sausage making partner showed me a way to quickly do close, but not dead on, fractional measurements when accurate weighing is not possible.

Weigh out one gram of cure.  (Or four grams of cure and just do this more times.)  Use a stiff piece of paper to push the cure into an even line.  Use the card to divide the line in half, so you have 1/2 gram of cure in each of the two lines you created.  Then divide one of the two lines into five equal parts.  Add 1 part of the 1/5th gram line to the 1/2 gram line.  You will now have one line with really close to 6/10 gram of cure and four lines of 1/10th gram of cure.     

KyNola

Last time I saw someone pushing a gram of something around with a credit card, the cops showed up! ;D 8)

Thanks tskeeter, that's an easy way to do that.

NePaSmoKer

What no straw or rolled Benjamin?

tskeeter

Won't snorting cure pickle your brain?