Bacon

Started by firefighter 10, July 02, 2013, 09:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter 10

Got a pork belly to do in my7in1smoker any ideas

KyNola

If you have never cured and smoked bacon before let me suggest you do some research prior to curing it yourself.  Done incorrectly you can really make some folks sick.

Here is a good place to start.  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=6770.0

The proper amount of Cure #1 is critical.  Too little and the pork belly doesn't cure properly.  Too much and you risk making folks seriously ill.

firefighter 10

Brown auger and honey with a cup of salt is one of the recipes I used do u think it will work it also said to put it in a air tight bag and turn it everyday for 7 days

Tenpoint5

Since you didn't mention the use of any cure in your bacon. I HIGHLY HIGHLY suggest you smoke cook your bacon at 225 degrees. 
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

I will yield to others as to how effective your recipe will be in curing the pork belly as I have never cured pork belly without Cure #1.  You do want to place the belly in a ziplock bag or something equivalent and turn over everyday for at least 7 days.

I agree with TenPoint5 that if you are not going to use Cure #1 that you smoke it at 225F and take it to an internal temp of 150F.

Saber 4

Not to hijack this thread but I have a slab curing as we speak with the hi mountain bacon cure, what smoking/cooking time/temps are best for cured bacon. all the posts I've read seem to have different ideas.

KyNola

There are many variations.  I hot smoke mine at 200F and take it to an IT of 150F.  I don't want to exceed 150F as any higher you begin to render the fat.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Saber 4 on July 04, 2013, 07:48:34 AM
Not to hijack this thread but I have a slab curing as we speak with the hi mountain bacon cure, what smoking/cooking time/temps are best for cured bacon. all the posts I've read seem to have different ideas.

If your using CURE #1 in the recipe I would suggest 1 hour at 120 then apply 2-3 hours of smoke at 140 then take to an IT of 152 at 170

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Saber 4

This is what they say is in their cure, it looks like it is or is close to cure #1. I'll be getting actual cure #1 for future cures this is just what I had on hand to try.
Bacon Cure:
Salt, brown sugar, sugar, Maple sugar, 0.70% sodium nitrite and less than 2% glycerine added to prevent caking

Thanks for the help, I don't want anyone to get sick so I want to get it right.

firefighter 10

looked at my bacon and there is lots of moisture in the bag does that mean the salt is drawing the liquid out and is that a good thing

Saber 4

I can't say if it's the salt drawing it out, but it is a good thing, that's why they tell us to flip it everyday to keep the juices distributed.

Tenpoint5

That's a good thing firefighter.  The salt will pull the moisture out. Then the salt will seek to level itself out and soak into the meat, thus pulling all the flavors back into the meat with it. That is the short answer

firefighter 10

It's been curing now for 4 day is that long enough the pork belly is about 1.5inchs thick

Tenpoint5

I usually go 5-7 days depending on my schedule. If you need to smoke it on Saturday then pull it on Friday night rince it off real good and place it on and inverted Bradley rack and stick it in the fridge to air dry over night. Then in the morning let it sit out at room temp for about and hour then wipe off any sweat with a paper towel. Give it 2-3 hours of your favorite smoke with a Cabinet temp of 140 then bump the temp to 170 until you get and IT of 148 pull it and immediately double wrap it in plastic wrap and let sit on counter for 15-20 minutes. Pop it into the fridge for an overnight rest in the fridge. Slice it on Sunday morning after church, and make the best breakfast you have had in a long time.

I suggest that you cook your bacon at a lower temp in the fry pan so as not to burn the sugars and turn your bacon black

firefighter 10

Before I smoke it do I put some rub on it for flavour or not