• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Frito Sticks

Started by NePaSmoKer, July 09, 2013, 06:15:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Yup Frito sticks.

Going with the chili cheese.

Mix for 1.5 lbs of 80/20

Top left, PS Seasoning hot stick mix (3T) 1/4 cup smashed fritos
Bottom left, smoked paprika (1/2T), Cure 1 (1/4 t) chili powder (1/2T)

Cure and paprika added. Mix well by hand. Chili powder add here also. (forgot pic)

Mix in stick mix.

Add frito's and mix well. I did add small amounts of distilled water as i mixed. Im sure the fritos will act as a binder and suck up some liquid.

All mixed. Cover and fridge so i can clean up and get ready to stuff.

beefmann

interesting, cant wait to see the final  outcome

Saber 4

You can't miss with Frito's! They make a great breading for fried chicken/chicken fried steak also

Sailor

Watching this one for sure.  Please let us know how the finished taste is.  Gotta be just plain good.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

NePaSmoKer

Stuffing with the gun. 19mm smoked collagen

Going to rack and put em in the smoker. Using up some random length casing.

Tenpoint5

This could be interesting
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Ok cut and taste test has been done.

For me they are a tad to dry. Sorta like a Kutas dried sausage stick or a round jerky stick.
I can taste the Fritos.

What will i do different.

Add more water and some Ames Phos, more chili powder, paprika. Use my stuffer instead of the jerky gun.

IdaSmoker

Looks like you let the temp get too high and got "fat-out".

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: IdaSmoker on July 10, 2013, 09:24:42 AM
Looks like you let the temp get too high and got "fat-out".

Dont mean to sound off like a butt

I dont think so. Not my 1st sausage rodeo

KyNola

You've made sausages and sticks before Rick? ;)

Who knew!

Sailor

Hey Rick, just a thought about moisture loss.  Wonder how much moisture would have been retained if you used casings instead of doing them like jerky.  I bet the casing would have shielded the moisture some just don't know how much.  I know if I do GB Jerky I lose about 50% weight.  Doing stixs with casings I get about 60% to 65% moisture loss bringing IT to 149-152.  Just something to throw out there.

Tenpoint5

Jim he did use casings atleast in the picture he did. Guessing he pulled the casing off. He do strange stuff like dat!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Sailor

I sure overlooked that!  Guess I need to start looking at the photos better.  ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Sailor on July 11, 2013, 04:12:53 AM
I sure overlooked that!  Guess I need to start looking at the photos better.  ;D

;D

What the problem was after i smoked them and got my IT at 146 i put em in the dehydrator which dried em out.

jdhunt0

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on July 11, 2013, 06:18:45 AM
Quote from: Sailor on July 11, 2013, 04:12:53 AM

;D

What the problem was after i smoked them and got my IT at 146 i put em in the dehydrator which dried em out.

Dehydrators tend to do that.