Wood fired pizza oven

Started by pz, July 13, 2013, 01:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pz

We purchased a wood fired pizza oven kit, assembled it, and are now enjoying the unequaled pleasure of the smoky treats.  It still looks really rough, but I'm not much of a mason, so ugly it will have to be.  The fire was too hot so I had to move the pizzas closer to the door.  The temperature in the center was over 1000F and would cook a pizza in less than 90 seconds. (Click the photos to zoom)

My sweetie positioning a pizza

Now the oven has cooled to a reasonable temperature, and the pizza is cooking nicely

This is how it looks in a 900F oven the second you place the pizza

We build some unusual pizzas - this one is black bean and pulled pork on a bed of Mexican cheese blend.  The pizza was smoky and spicy, like nothing I have had before, and is delicious

Enjoying the fruits of our labor on the back deck, where we love to spend time and entertain friends

My online cookbook: good food & friends

Habanero Smoker

The wood fired pizza oven looks great, and I bet it makes some great pizzas. You definitely have a nice view to enjoy your pizza.

What type of wood did you use?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Saber 4

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 13, 2013, 02:10:44 AM
The wood fired pizza oven looks great, and I bet it makes some great pizzas. You definitely have a nice view to enjoy your pizza.

What type of wood did you use?

Big Ditto on that! :)

NorthShoreMN

Pizza looks great, and as H S said beautiful view. Nothing better than that.
Paul
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

NePaSmoKer

pz

Thanks guys; I always told myself that I'd find a secluded place to retire in one day  ;)

In shopping for wood, I asked around and was told that just about any of the hardwoods are good for firing an oven, but we have little to none of those woods in North Idaho.  The only wood that was even close is birch, so that was my plan.  However, in curing the oven I was only going to use the most abundant wood we have in these parts, the Western Larch (Tamarack).  We also have Douglas Fir.  I used both of those to cure the oven.  However, when the coals were red hot, there was almost no smoke and no soot, so I decided to try a pizza which turned out great.  Ever since then, I've used very well seasoned Tamarack or sometimes the fir.

Smokin Sparky

I might just have to make a road trip to check out your oven!    ;D    ;D    ;D

Blake
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

SiFumar

pz

Quote from: Smokin Sparky on July 13, 2013, 11:35:25 AM
I might just have to make a road trip to check out your oven!    ;D    ;D    ;D

Blake

;D you're not that far away being in Southern Idaho!

Quote from: SiFumar on July 13, 2013, 02:34:04 PM
Well that looks amazing!

The oven kit was not too expensive considering the prices I've seen elsewhere.  It is from a company called Firerock, and cost about $1700 (the portable unit at Costco costs $3500!).

If I had to do it over, I think I would build one from scratch, because it is not too difficult, and would be way more cost effective.  Plus, I need to develop my masonry skills.  ::)

rveal23

Was looking for one of your post to show my wife the amazing view you had. Going through ur post I found this one.

My wife loved your view first of all. And then we admired you pizza oven and you baked pizza.
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

pz

Thanks rveal; we're at the point where the kids are grown and out of the house, and life is simple and good.  Now we can focus on the important things (food)  ;D