First time cold smoking (cheese) experience

Started by pz, July 13, 2013, 10:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salmonsmoker

My first cold smoke adapter was a cardboard box and dryer vent hose. Worked fine. One forum member cut openings in a non-working microwave oven for the smoke generator and dryer vent hose. Said it worked great.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

pz

Thanks for the tips  ;)

Just finished smoking Canadian bacon using Habanero Smoker's recipe, and although it states to wrap for a couple of days before eating, I had to save a piece for eating right now.  I'm enjoying small slices of the Canadian bacon atop small slices of the smoked Gouda I made earlier in the week - life is good.

It sure is fun eating foods that you've had a hand in making  :)

As we head into the end of summer, my plan is to use the tomatoes we have growing next to the pizza oven, the fresh basil in the base of the planter, smoked Canadian bacon, and smoked cheese  to make some really tasty wood-fired pizza treats.

You know the old saying that goes "food always tastes better outdoors".  Well, that goes double for food that you've smoked yourself.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

rveal23

Quote from: pz on July 20, 2013, 10:16:14 PM
Thanks for the tips  ;)

Just finished smoking Canadian bacon using Habanero Smoker's recipe, and although it states to wrap for a couple of days before eating, I had to save a piece for eating right now.  I'm enjoying small slices of the Canadian bacon atop small slices of the smoked Gouda I made earlier in the week - life is good.

It sure is fun eating foods that you've had a hand in making  :)

As we head into the end of summer, my plan is to use the tomatoes we have growing next to the pizza oven, the fresh basil in the base of the planter, smoked Canadian bacon, and smoked cheese  to make some really tasty wood-fired pizza treats.

You know the old saying that goes "food always tastes better outdoors".  Well, that goes double for food that you've smoked yourself.

Living the good retirement life!  All that food sounds great!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

pz

Thanks!  You know, the really fun part is thinking about all the good smoked food that is to come  :D

pz

Here's my first attempt at Canadian bacon - used pecan, which turned out to be really good

Saber 4

looks real good, when I did mine I cut my loin into 3 pieces about 3 lbs each so it was easier to slice. Can't wait to see the sliced pics and how it tasted.

pz

Thanks Saber 4; I'm planning on opening a package later today, which marks the two day resting period.  I brought the internal temperature to 140F due to Habanero Smoker's recommendation on the recipe page.  He reported that the meat has better moisture at that temperature.  I'll post pics!  :)

rveal23

Shoot, I have two Pork Loins sitting in the Fridge, one will be to fine dine my wifey, and I can use the second one to do CANADIAN BACON aye.

She loves Bacon!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

pz

lol, it is really cute; my wife is loving the smoked products so much it is difficult to keep her from opening the packages prematurely We're now working our way through the second smoked Gouda wedge (the big kind from Costco), and she plans on opening the block of smoked cheddar this afternoon for grilling hamburgers because she simply cannot wait to taste it.

It is becoming easier to sell her on new things I need for smoking.  :)

rveal23

PZ, I know what you mean, I think I will be opening my Vac Sealed cheese today, it's been 5 days since it was smoked. I am dying to taste it.

I figure if I can show my wife different kinds of food, then she will fall into my perfect plan and let me get all the stuff I need when I need it for my smoking.. LOL
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

pz

Looking forward to your first impressions of the flavor! (and more importantly your wife's)  ;D

rveal23

I Opened up the Mozzarella Smoked cheese, The Flavor was great to me.  I then melted it on a pulled pork sandwich.
I wasn't sure how it was going to taste, but oh man the flavor was amazing. The smoke flavor would spike when you would
bite it but then mellow out fast and give you a really nice taste.  Enjoyed that pulled pork sandwich.

My wife doesn't like cheese but my mother-in-law dies for it, so she will have to give it a go when she comes around.
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

pz

Quote from: rveal23 on July 22, 2013, 07:14:44 PM
My wife doesn't like cheese but my mother-in-law dies for it, so she will have to give it a go when she comes around.

'nuff said... your poor wife doesn't stand a chance  ;D

I haven't tried mozzarella but it is definitely on my list.  The way you describe the taste is what I experience with the smoked Gouda.  I'm also planning jalapeno jack cheese and anything else that looks interesting at Costco

pz

We finally had enough smoked product to make a tasty burger.  However, we have run out of our hamburger blend so we used frozen chicken burgers we purchased at Costco.  I've seen better Canadian bacon, but for my first try, I'm really happy with the result.  I can taste the distinct pecan smoke balanced with the ever so slight sweet flavor of the maple syrup.  I also had added sprigs of fresh sage and thyme from the garden into the marinade, so those subtle flavors were also present.  We really enjoyed those burgers.

On an aside, our youngest son came over (hungry of course), and I fixed him a burger.  He was formerly a cook a a local bistro and his spontaneous comment as he was taking his first bite was "Dad... this might be the best burger I have ever tasted!"  He was probably just overly hungry but the compliment made me feel good anyway.  :)

[Click images to zoom - click again to minimize]

Here's my baby right out of the package - has not been cut yet.  The smoky fragrance is mouth watering!     After cutting a few slices, this is how the interior looks.  Might not be the best Canadian bacon I've seen but I'm happy with it since it is my first attempt.  I know they will get better.     I sliced a large mound relatively thin because I intend to make Canadian bacon burgers.

Although we are using a store bought burger patty, we didn't have any ground ready for burgers and we were really hungry after work.  The plan is to use the smoked products we created in the Bradley (using the fine recipes we found on the recipe site).  Here we have smoked Gouda and thinly sliced Canadian bacon.     The smoked gouda is just beginning to melt, and are now ready for a heaping mound of Canadian bacon.     The burgers are still in the pan, and are smothered in Gouda and Canadian bacon - now ready for the onion and tomato.  As to condiment, I like plain yellow mustard, no ketchup

Saber 4

looks good to me, you might back your IT down to around 140-145 to keep it from drying out on you