• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Does everyone wrap?

Started by Cobra7, July 17, 2013, 05:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra7

Does everyone wrap there ribs? Can they be moiste without wrapping?

ragweed

I do.  In foil w/ a little fruit juice or water, for two hours after the three hour smoke.

Saber 4

I marinate mine overnight in apple juice, soy sauce and lime juice, then rub and smoke no foil during the cook but I will FTC if I need to kill time before eating.

rveal23

I do both depending in how the ribs are looking and how I plan.
If I wrap I do the 321 method.
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Ka Honu

I usually foil at least a half-rack after the smoke phase since SWMBO likes fall-off-the-bone.  The rest depend on how they look when I need them to look that way (like what rveal said).

pz

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 17, 2013, 06:33:57 PM
... SWMBO ...

Just curious, and forgive me if this is already know on the forum, but is that an acronym for She Who Must Be Obeyed?  I haven't seen that in years, and, (If I haven't lost all my brain cells due to old age) came out of an old caveman-type movie?

I always wrap my ribs but do so a couple of ways:

• If I want good BBQ appearance and flavor, then 3-2-1
  • Sometimes I do 2-3 (2 hours smoke and 3 hours wrapped in the oven) when I want simple good smoky-porky flavor with no sauce whatsoever.  Just a little salt and pepper for seasoning.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

TedEbear

Quote from: Cobra7 on July 17, 2013, 05:35:10 PM
Does everyone wrap there ribs? Can they be moist without wrapping?

I do and add 1/2 cup of apple juice and seal the foil tightly so the steam cannot escape. It's called the Texas Crutch.  I figure there's a reason all the teams in the BBQ competitions I've seen on TV wrap theirs.  Most of the ones I've seen also add some butter, honey and brown sugar to the ribs before sealing the foil.

Ka Honu

Quote from: pz on July 17, 2013, 09:08:46 PM... She Who Must Be Obeyed? ...came out of an old caveman-type movie?

Yes.  Originally (more or less) from the novel "She" by H. Rider Haggard, popularized more recently by Leo Kern in "Rumpole of the Bailey."

Quote from: TedEbear on July 17, 2013, 10:18:18 PMI figure there's a reason all the teams in the BBQ competitions I've seen on TV wrap theirs.

It's a time thing for them - with shoulder/butt and brisket they have to go from raw to presentation in 12 hours (about half that for ribs) and 3-4 hours wrapped (again, about half that for ribs) steams/braises the meat so it will be tender, moist, and done on time.  If they just turned up the temperature they risk tough, dry product.

Check out the article here for a pretty good discussion on the subject.