• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

OBS & Generator

Started by Shasta bob, July 25, 2013, 06:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasta bob

All, thanks for your help in advance, what im thinking about is using my OBS and a portable generator (Honda 2000) while i'm camping. do you have any experiance with this? pros & cons? Thanks for your help. :)
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

beefmann

if your generator is a 2000 watt unit, you will be fine... id run the generator 25 to 50 feet away .. the further the better and down wind so the exhaust does not affect the food, other then that ,,, have  plenty of fuel if the cook takes  longer then a  tank of fuel,

good  luck

rveal23

let us know how it turns out!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Saber 4

I'm curious to know how it works out as well, I remember in my army days having to dig holes to put the generator's in to lower the noise and to reduce the heat signature which of course didn't work with thermal sights.

Shasta bob

What length of power cord is needed and the size 12 or 14 ga.?
2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Shasta bob on July 25, 2013, 10:16:06 PM
What length of power cord is needed and the size 12 or 14 ga.?

10 or 12 would be best
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Sailor

Normal house wiring is 12 gauge.  Most drop cords are 14 gauge.  You most likely will be able to get by using a 30 foot drop cord that is 14 gage.  The heating element is only 500 watts so even a 18 gauge drop cord will power the unit.  At home I use a 12 gauge drop cord plugged into the wall to power the OBS and never had a problem.  I would not be afraid to use a 14 gauge drop cord to power the OBS.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

NePaSmoKer

I use a 12g heavy duty cord 25' for my Bradley, run the SG and PID on it at the same time with no problems.

beefmann

I run 14 gage to run my  bradley with a  900 watt element, and blower, My home is right off power company's  transformer Unlike most where it is a ways away. If possible run 14  min.. 12 gage is best if you  have  low voltage issues