• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First solo Butt

Started by Cobra7, July 27, 2013, 06:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Cobra7 on July 27, 2013, 09:53:36 PM
I will defiantly wrap next time like the competition guys do. To hell with FTC.

All the competition guys I know and most everyone on the forum uses FTC once their butts reach temp. FTC allows all the moisture that has been forced out of the center of the meat. To be redistributed or reabsorbed into the meat. I highly suggest you continue using the FTC process
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Cobra7

Do y'all wrap in foil during the cook?

Indy Smoker

Never wrap in foil during the cook. I always FTC and have for up to 5 hours and never dry. I think you may have rushed it a bit by bumping up the temp and pulling early.
Don't be afraid to give it another try and be patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenpoint5

Some do some don't.  If your going to wrap in the Bradley . I would suggest wrapping after applying 4 hours of smoke. By wrapping you give up a nice bark on your butt. So it is a give and take sort of thing.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

I have never foiled and always FTC'd and always have had moist, tender butts. I agree with the others, it probably was a combination of not cooking it long enough and a stubborn butt.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

I very rarely FTC, and I can't recall any of my butts ever getting dry. After the end of the cook I will wrap tightly in foil with some liquid, and allow it to rest at room temperature until it is cool enough to pull; 45 minutes to an hour - sometimes longer. This is enough time for the juices to redistribute.

My last two butts I foiled once the butts reached an IT of 145° - 150°F, and I hate to admit it, but the foiled butts powered through the stall (there was no stall); but so far I have sacrificed on the bark. I cook at 200°F, and take the butts out at 175°F, and they easily pull apart, great texture and "moistness".

When you cook meat over 145°F, it is overcooked and dry. What gives butts a sense of moisture is the gelatin coating of the protein fibers (the gelatin is formed when collagen breaks down), along with some remaining fat. Since your meat was still tough, it could be an indication that not all of the collagen broke down and converted to gelatin, giving the meat a dry texture. But pulled pork, even if it is dried out or tough, is one of those meats that is salvageable. It if is too tough to pull; chop it, or pulse it once or twice in a food process, or further cook it in a crock pot. If it is too dry, after it has been pulled or chopped try adding some low sodium vegetable or chicken broth; if you want to add some sweetness add some apple cider or juice.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rveal23

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 28, 2013, 01:26:49 PM
I very rarely FTC, and I can't recall any of my butts ever getting dry. After the end of the cook I will wrap tightly in foil with some liquid, and allow it to rest at room temperature until it is cool enough to pull; 45 minutes to an hour - sometimes longer. This is enough time for the juices to redistribute.

My last two butts I foiled once the butts reached an IT of 145° - 150°F, and I hate to admit it, but the foiled butts powered through the stall (there was no stall); but so far I have sacrificed on the bark. I cook at 200°F, and take the butts out at 175°F, and they easily pull apart, great texture and "moistness".

When you cook meat over 145°F, it is overcooked and dry. What gives butts a sense of moisture is the gelatin coating of the protein fibers (the gelatin is formed when collagen breaks down), along with some remaining fat. Since your meat was still tough, it could be an indication that not all of the collagen broke down and converted to gelatin, giving the meat a dry texture. But pulled pork, even if it is dried out or tough, is one of those meats that is salvageable. It if is too tough to pull; chop it, or pulse it once or twice in a food process, or further cook it in a crock pot. If it is too dry, after it has been pulled or chopped try adding some low sodium vegetable or chicken broth; if you want to add some sweetness add some apple cider or juice.

I Foil my butts exactly at those temps and they power through the Stall. The Bark isn't the way I would like it at the end, but the moisture and tenderness is perfect. 
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Wildcat

I do my butts very similar to Habs. As a matter of fact, I have done it his way since the first time I read his posts regarding butts a few years back.  Success every time. The only time I FTC butts is if I need to keep it hot longer than an hour or two.

I can't tell much from your photo, but their does not appear to be much, if any, fat on or in the meat in the photo. It also looks like a small butt (assuming it is a butt). Perhaps some of your issues are due to the cut of meat and the fact that you bumped the temp up and bypassed the stall.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Roget

I always cook my butts at 215-225 to195F, no foil, then FTC for 1-2 hours, depending on when I get hungry.

I've never had a dry one yet, knock on wood.
I'm not saying I'm good, just fortunate.
I've had better luck with butts than anything I have smoked.
YCDBSOYA