• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Looking for Rack Turning Opinions

Started by Saber 4, August 02, 2013, 01:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

This discussion may have happened before and if so I apologize for not being able to find it, that being said, I am looking for opinions about the pro's and con's of rotating racks for jerky and other smokes. I see rotating mentioned often, mostly as "front to back and top to bottom" but nothing on times or methods. In other words do you rotate top to bottom and later come back and rotate top to bottom or do you do them both at the same time? How often do you rotate compared to smoke/cook time? And any other method's I may have missed. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and opinions I'm sure us newbie's will gain much from the discussion.

KyNola

I rotate top to bottom and front to back at the same time.  As for timing, every 45 minutes to an hour for me but I'm sure others may have a different method.  The rotation is to prevent the meat on the lower racks and on the back of the lower racks from drying too quickly.

Saber 4

Quote from: KyNola on August 03, 2013, 07:41:06 AM
I rotate top to bottom and front to back at the same time.  As for timing, every 45 minutes to an hour for me but I'm sure others may have a different method.  The rotation is to prevent the meat on the lower racks and on the back of the lower racks from drying too quickly.

So do you rotate during the smoke or just after?

Tenpoint5

I start every hour after the smoke stops. Front to back top to bottom at the same time
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Im a little different,,,,,,,,I take the bottom rack and set it aside, then take the rack above the bottom rack, turn it front to back and slide it in were the bottom rack was, do the same with all the other racks and finish with the bottom rack on top

I do this every hour after the smoke is done

Oh ya,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,after the smoke dump the water bowl and put it back empty  and keep that vent wide open

Sailor

Quote from: OU812 on August 03, 2013, 09:08:43 AM
Im a little different,,,,,,,,I take the bottom rack and set it aside, then take the rack above the bottom rack, turn it front to back and slide it in were the bottom rack was, do the same with all the other racks and finish with the bottom rack on top

I do this every hour after the smoke is done

Oh ya,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,after the smoke dump the water bowl and put it back empty  and keep that vent wide open

I am in Curt's camp......bottom goes on top and is rotated.  All the above rack go down a level and are rotated.  Rotation every hr on the hr.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

sage03