Ok, lets try this.

Started by Bigredcat, August 08, 2013, 06:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

Quote from: pokermeister on August 19, 2013, 06:04:58 PM
I use ice water in the bowl, and 2 1-gallon milk jugs w/ ice to keep smoker cool. No problem so far, and I have smoked about 6 batches of cheese.

Does this work for you in the Vegas summer or just fall and winter? I'm in Texas and have been waiting till fall to try smoking cheese because I wasn't sure if the ice trick would work.

pondee

Wouldn't it be better/easier to just buy and attach  the cold smoker attackment for the Bradley?  Keeps the SG a yard away from the tower, lessening its heat contribution to the tower. I've seem them on Amazon for less than the Bradley site.  Just a thought I've had for after I become "more better" with the Bradley, for making Lox.  Other than the cost $80 +/- is there a downside to the cold smoker atachment?

Saber 4

Quote from: pondee on August 20, 2013, 04:56:37 AM
Wouldn't it be better/easier to just buy and attach  the cold smoker attackment for the Bradley?  Keeps the SG a yard away from the tower, lessening its heat contribution to the tower. I've seem them on Amazon for less than the Bradley site.  Just a thought I've had for after I become "more better" with the Bradley, for making Lox.  Other than the cost $80 +/- is there a downside to the cold smoker atachment?

I've thought about it but space and money are at a premium right now and I'm looking at dehydrator's so I can make jerky easier and the wife is on board with that so I have to strike while the iron is hot on that one. So it's easier to just wait for cooler weather if I have to.

rveal23

So I was about to run out of my Cheery Smoked Monterry Jack Cheese and needed to reload again so decided to smoke another batch of the following: Mild Cheddar, Provalone & Muenster.

Smoke: Apple
Smoke Duration: 1hr
Temp: Keep it under 100

Cheese Ready To Start Smoking

Close Shot Starting From L to R:
Mild Cheddar, Provalone, Muenster

Out of the Smoker and Resting

Vac Sealed and ready to sit in the fridge
for at least a week(Unless I can holdout longer)

As you can see I used a tray full of ice to keep my temp low.  I was able to pull my Cheese after 1hr of smoking and none of the cheese was sweating!  So that is a win for me.
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Saber 4

What was the outside temp and humidity like when you did this? Also looks good I want to do some Jarlesburg (spelling?) for my dad it's one of his favorite hard cheeses.

rveal23

I would say it was around 80 degrees in my area around
7pm.  My DBS highest reading was 99. I would open the door
every 20min when it would push a new puck on the heating plate.
This way it would cool down the Cabinet.  When the smoking was
done I still had ice in my foil pan.
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Saber 4

Thanks that's good to know, I could probably try it in the evenings or early morning before the big heat hits.

rveal23

Good luck.. Everything taste better with some smoked cheese!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

pz

Quote from: rveal23 on August 20, 2013, 09:44:41 AM
So I was about to run out of my Cheery Smoked Monterry Jack Cheese and needed to reload again so decided to smoke another batch of the following: Mild Cheddar, Provalone & Muenster.

I did several cheeses about a week or two ago, and Muenster was one of them.  Because I can never resist, I taste a small slice of each one - and they all had rich smoky flavor except the Muenster, which was rather bland and did not exhibit hardly any smoke.  Have you tried yours yet?
My online cookbook: good food & friends

rveal23

PZ, I didn't try any of the cheese. I remember the last time I tried them, before I let them sit in the fridge for a while made me feel as though I was eating an ashtray. I'll let u know in a week how it goes. That is the main one I really want to taste!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

pz

I'll be interested in your results.  I cut the blocks into approximately the same size as you did (I started with a 5 lb block that a friend in food service gave me), and also left on the red rind.  Smoke penetrated the clean edges nicely, but did not appear to penetrate the red rind in my batch.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

pokermeister

I have used my smoker for cheese all year, and my smoker sits in a shaded area. Have not gotten above 80 with the jugs of ice.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

Saber 4

Quote from: pokermeister on August 21, 2013, 11:31:11 PM
I have used my smoker for cheese all year, and my smoker sits in a shaded area. Have not gotten above 80 with the jugs of ice.

Thanks, I'll start freezing me a couple of half gallon milk jugs and get some cheeses to smoke.

KyNola

Quote from: pz on August 21, 2013, 09:57:17 PM
I'll be interested in your results.  I cut the blocks into approximately the same size as you did (I started with a 5 lb block that a friend in food service gave me), and also left on the red rind.  Smoke penetrated the clean edges nicely, but did not appear to penetrate the red rind in my batch.
The red rind is not actually a natural cheese rind like you will find on a quality Parmesan reggiano.  The red rind is actually a food safe red wax that the cheese is dipped into.  That explains why the smoke didn't penetrate it.

rveal23

Quote from: KyNola on August 22, 2013, 07:28:43 AM
Quote from: pz on August 21, 2013, 09:57:17 PM
The red rind is not actually a natural cheese rind like you will find on a quality Parmesan reggiano.  The red rind is actually a food safe red wax that the cheese is dipped into.  That explains why the smoke didn't penetrate it.

Interesting, I thought it was just dipped into vegetable coloring, from what I have read.  Either way, once I open up my Muenster, I will let you know the results
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill