• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Lay flat or hang jerky?

Started by stevo133080, August 13, 2013, 10:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo133080

Cutting up some moose tonight into strips to make some jerky.  In the past I have always layed the chunks of meat down on the racks,  but im wondering if anybody has hung it from tooth picks or skewers>  Wondering whats the preffered method for jerky in your Bradley.  Ive got some of the jerky racks,  plus my regular smoker racks to stack.

MoHuka

This week I have smoked 20-pounds of Missouri Whitetail Jerky..10-pounds of whole muscle and 10-pounds GB.  I lay both on frog mats..I have 4 extra racks to set upside down for a total of 10 racks and it holds almost exactly 10 pounds.  I seen guys on here hang the strips with paper clips but not sure of the advantage vs work required to do it.  I usually run 3 hours of smoke, ramp from 120 up to 160 and hold for a couple of hours and then finish in the dehydrator.  I get raving reviews and it does not last long..oh BTW I use LEM's HOT seasoning and add a table spoon of Habanero ground pepper.....nice zing
MoSmoker

pz

I've always done flat, but once I saw the toothpick method posted on this forum, I'm a convert
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Fireguy06

All the jerky I have done I have always laid it flat and never had a problem just make sure u oil the racks so it doesn't stick
OBS
Aubers single probe PID
Gas grill
Weber kettle grill
Traeger pellet grill

Saber 4

Quote from: MoHuka on August 13, 2013, 10:51:59 AM
This week I have smoked 20-pounds of Missouri Whitetail Jerky..10-pounds of whole muscle and 10-pounds GB.  I lay both on frog mats..I have 4 extra racks to set upside down for a total of 10 racks and it holds almost exactly 10 pounds.  I seen guys on here hang the strips with paper clips but not sure of the advantage vs work required to do it.  I usually run 3 hours of smoke, ramp from 120 up to 160 and hold for a couple of hours and then finish in the dehydrator.  I get raving reviews and it does not last long..oh BTW I use LEM's HOT seasoning and add a table spoon of Habanero ground pepper.....nice zing

I've always done flat in the Bradley, then I got the dehydrator and have started using it by itself. I haven't had the guts to bring in the smoked jerky and put it in the dehydrator, I may try it when SWMBO goes on her next quilt retreat, at least I'd have a couple of days to air out the place if it get's to smoky smelling inside.

RAF128

I used to hang mine from skewers but found to tended to move and 2 pieces would touch and then not get smoke.   Only way around it was to put fewer pieces in the smoker but then had to do several smokes.   Now use jerky racks and can get more in.

MoHuka

Quote from: Saber 4 on September 13, 2013, 07:03:12 AM

I've always done flat in the Bradley, then I got the dehydrator and have started using it by itself. I haven't had the guts to bring in the smoked jerky and put it in the dehydrator, I may try it when SWMBO goes on her next quilt retreat, at least I'd have a couple of days to air out the place if it get's to smoky smelling inside.

Ha....my dehydrator is in the basement and It really makes a nice smell..I am lucky I guess as my SWMBO loves the smoky smell and makes special trips to the basement just to get a whiff when I'm finishing off a batch
MoSmoker

tskeeter

Quote from: MoHuka on September 13, 2013, 07:12:50 AM

Ha....my dehydrator is in the basement and It really makes a nice smell..I am lucky I guess as my SWMBO loves the smoky smell and makes special trips to the basement just to get a whiff when I'm finishing off a batch

Is that why my SWMBO gets snugly whenever I do ribs?  It's not me she likes, it's just that I smell good?  Dang.  Here I was, thinking that doing manly things, like bringing food, was eliciting that reaction.  On the good news front, I'm wondering if wearing a half burned hickory puck on a string around my neck will work just as well?  Recycling burned pucks would be less work than making ribs!  All it will take is some string and, now where did I leave that duct tape?

Saber 4

Quote from: tskeeter on September 13, 2013, 09:21:09 AM
Quote from: MoHuka on September 13, 2013, 07:12:50 AM

Is that why my SWMBO gets snugly whenever I do ribs?  It's not me she likes, it's just that I smell good?  Dang.  Here I was, thinking that doing manly things, like bringing food, was eliciting that reaction.  On the good news front, I'm wondering if wearing a half burned hickory puck on a string around my neck will work just as well?  Recycling burned pucks would be less work than making ribs!  All it will take is some string and, now where did I leave that duct tape?

I'd say you both got it good at home, maybe I'll just give it a go and see what happens. After all "tis better to beg forgiveness than ask permission" ;D