Lilly’s refrigerator bread and butter pickles

Started by pikeman_95, August 13, 2013, 06:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikeman_95

Well the cucumber patch is producing two large bags of cucumbers every other day. Here is today's picking.

Here are the volunteers and the things that you need. A one gallon jar a nice sweet onion. I use a zigzag slicer to make the slices look good.

measure out the sugar salt

add the vinegar and start to heat until sugar and salt dissolves. Do not boil but allow to cool while you do the other part of the process.

While the brine is cooling get the cucumbers and the onion sliced up and start packing the jar. Pack the jar and tight as you can and when the jar is half way full add the dry spices.

pack the jar as tight as you can get it and fill it right to the rim.

use a canning funnel to keep from mess and pour on the cooled brine.

put in the refrigerator and stir each day for about a week. This is what the finished product will look like. Do not add any more cucumbers even though it looks like they will fit. They will water down the brine.

here is the recipe

sugar ......5 cups
salt .........1/3 cup
vinegar ......3 cups

add these last ingredients to the jar when it is half full while you are packing it.

1 tsp.......turmeric
1 tsp.......celery seed
2 tsp.......mustard seed

These pickles will last a long time in the refrigerator and they are crisp and great.

Saber 4

That looks like a good recipe, the only pickles I have ever really enjoyed are good homemade bread and butter so thank you for sharing.

pz

That does look delicious; The pics alone had my salivary glands going
My online cookbook: good food & friends

rveal23

My wife loooooves pickles. I might have to give this a go!  Thanx for the info.
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

3rensho

Looks great.  I'm not familiar with "thermic".  Judging by the yellow color could that be tumeric?  Just want to be sure before trying.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

pikeman_95

sorry, spell check changed one on me. the spice is  TURMERIC. This is the spelling off of the McCormick spice bottle.