First run at the Easy Crusty Bread Recipe

Started by Saber 4, September 07, 2013, 02:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

I don't remember who first posted on this recipe but I've had it on my list for awhile and finally got to start it today, Got it mixed up and covered to rise and bake tomorrow. The basic ingredients laid out to mix

All mixed up and time to go beddy bye till tomorrow

MoHuka

This stuff is great..I took a member's advice and add a handful of shredded cheddar, some dried cherries and another handful of chopped pecans......really good and easy....
MoSmoker

pz

Best of luck Saber - coincidentally we're baking a couple of loaves as I write this post.  :)

The only thing I would recommend is that you do it in some kind of enclosed container, like a Dutch oven - that will produce a European-style crisp crust due to the steam that bathes the bread while it is baking.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Saber 4

Quote from: MoHuka on September 07, 2013, 09:44:07 PM
This stuff is great..I took a member's advice and add a handful of shredded cheddar, some dried cherries and another handful of chopped pecans......really good and easy....

I plan on it, I wanted to try a trial run on the basic recipe first.

Quote from: pz on September 07, 2013, 10:50:45 PM
Best of luck Saber - coincidentally we're baking a couple of loaves as I write this post.  :)

The only thing I would recommend is that you do it in some kind of enclosed container, like a Dutch oven - that will produce a European-style crisp crust due to the steam that bathes the bread while it is baking.

I'm planning on using my Lodge Dutch Oven for it. I'll be baking sometime this morning and will update on progress.

Saber 4

After resting overnight, it's all full of bubbly goodness

After all the cooking and resting, I present my first bread loaf.....

And man did it taste good, I think next time I'll make a double batch and throw in some of the dried tomato's I did the other day with some hard cheese.

pz

My online cookbook: good food & friends

devo

ragweed

Very nice.  Too close to supper time to be reading these. 

Saber 4

Man it sure tasted good with the BCS pork loin we had for dinner tonight.

Snoopy

found the recipe on the other site, gonna be tryin this week

Saber 4

Quote from: Snoopy on September 08, 2013, 06:56:28 PM
found the recipe on the other site, gonna be tryin this week

You'll love it, it is so easy. I'm going to double the batch and add some goodies next batch. First I quit buying bacon in the store because of the forum, now I may not need to buy bread again.

Snoopy

id love to get to the point of making own stuff a lot more. though i gotta get a few more buddies into it. told one about the bread thing and he says, 'turning into a regular old martha stewart huh' lol. i just don't think you can fully understand it unless you are  emersed in it like you get with this forum. i've almost got him converted to get one

Saber 4

Quote from: Snoopy on September 09, 2013, 01:23:29 AM
id love to get to the point of making own stuff a lot more. though i gotta get a few more buddies into it. told one about the bread thing and he says, 'turning into a regular old martha stewart huh' lol. i just don't think you can fully understand it unless you are  emersed in it like you get with this forum. i've almost got him converted to get one

I know what you mean about the buddies, once you give them a taste they'll be hooked, I baited mine with Canadian Bacon and beef jerky and by then they had to get one, they just haven't gotten hooked on the forum much yet, I think they're still looking as guest's. Get enough adult beverages on ice and have a sausage making get together, that ought to hook them when they take home some good sausage and their SO's say how come you can't do this for us.

OU812