• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Summer Sausage

Started by ragweed, September 13, 2013, 12:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragweed

We always make "care packages" for the kids and relatives as Christmas presents.  Lots to make this year so I thought I'd get the summer sausage out of the way this week.  Since the MIL "won't eat deer", in the past I've made both deer and beef SS.  Guess I'm getting lazy in my old age 'cause this year I thought, everyone's getting beef!  I used a mix of bottom round and pork butt and used my usual seasoning based on my Dad's recipe from years ago that I "re-discovered".  This year I decided to change things up a little and make the sausage just the right diameter to fit on crackers.  So, here's about 11 lbs stuffed into 1 1/2 inch casings, ready to be smoked.

And, after 3 hrs of Pecan smoke, they looked like this:

I finished them with a quick hot water poach to an IT of 152 F.  After an ice bath, they chilled in the frig over night.  Here they're cut in half with the casings removed, waiting to be vac sealed.

That's another "gift" to mark off my list!  Thanks for looking.

beefmann

devo

Hope I am on that list  :D  Nice looking SS

squirtthecat

He's making a list.....   and checking it twice!

tskeeter

Ragweed, are you willing to share your Dad's recipe?  Or is it a family secret?  I love summer sausage and have been looking for a great recipe.  Your Dad's looks wonderful.

STLstyle

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

devo

From a older post

8.75 tsp pepper
1.75 tsp garlic
1.75 tsp coriander
1 tsp thyme
7 tsp salt
3 tsp mustard seed
2 tsp mustard seed (slightly ground)

2 tsp cure #1 (to be added at mixing time)

10 lbs of meat
Add cheese if you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

NePaSmoKer

ragweed

tskeeter,  Here's the original post.  Devo condensed it nicely.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=31955.0

Saber 4

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 13, 2013, 06:01:00 PM
Nice looking SS

That is some good looking SS, are you sure you can't make Paducah? :D

ragweed

Quote from: Saber 4 on September 13, 2013, 06:56:51 PM
Nice looking SS

Let's just say that if I went to Paducah, I'd have to stay there 'cause I couldn't go back home.

Saber 4

Quote from: ragweed on September 13, 2013, 07:13:19 PM
Quote from: Saber 4 on September 13, 2013, 06:56:51 PM
Nice looking SS

Let's just say that if I went to Paducah, I'd have to stay there 'cause I couldn't go back home.

That would be bad thing I'm sure.

cobra6223

nice looking SS. I have a question or two about the mustard....besides giving you something to spit out, what's the purpose of it, flavor? I know some recipes don't use it. Thanks for explaining it to me.

ragweed

Quote from: cobra6223 on September 13, 2013, 09:53:39 PM
nice looking SS. I have a question or two about the mustard....besides giving you something to spit out, what's the purpose of it, flavor? I know some recipes don't use it. Thanks for explaining it to me.

Beats me.  I use it because my Dad used it in his recipe.  Maybe one of the sausage experts here can offer an explanation.  Anyway, I think SS recipes are like jerky recipes.  Whatever floats your boat.