Brand new... 1st smoker ever

Started by mattyb9977, September 15, 2013, 09:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattyb9977

Hello..... My name is Matt.  Moved from Boston, Ma to Dallas Tx.  Work at a Tarrrant County Fire Dept as a FF/ Medic.  Just bought a house and was talked into buying a smoker by some of my more country peers.  Thinking it was excellent advice.   

Anywaymy OBS arrives on 9/18!  Can not wait to start smoking stuff!  My brother is coming down from Boston and I want to smoke some ribs for him and I.....Little nervous and I haven't even got the smoker yet......Want them to be good... some questions if you don't mind..

1) How hard is it to get the temp. right? Do I need the Aubry PID?
2)  What flavor briquettes should I buy?  BBQ ribs

Any other words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

pokermeister

Make sure you season the smoker first-any wood will do.  I personally prefer hickory for pork and beef, apple for everything else. Most people like hickory, but try several and use the one you like the best (maybe get a sampler pack). I put a 9 x 9 cake pan(replacing round bowl) in the bottom to aid in heat recovery, and also a foil wrapped brick. Put very hot to boiling water in pan to start, and let smoker heat up at least 30 minutes. Get frog mats from yardandpool.com ; Bubba pucks will pay for themselves after several smokes, as you are not wasting 2-3 pucks per smoke. I would wait a few smokes before adding hardware to your Bradley, just to make sure about the mods you want. Make sure to try Jan's rub, it would even make a board taste good. Spend time on the forum-even if you don't want to post. Ask lots of questions, as someone on the site will have the answer for you. Hope this helps!  ;)
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska.  Pokermeister has got you started in the right direction.  Also, keep your top vent open!

RAF128

Since you're now in Texas, you better learn to like Mesquite ;)

mattyb9977

hahahah... Mesquite huh?   

Thanks guys... I just orederd Hickory brisquettes, frogmats and bubba pucks.   
Thanks so much for helping me out. 
I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Smokin Sparky

Welcome from Southwest Idaho.  As mentioned earlier do not be afraid to ask questions.  There is a wealth of information here and the members are more than happy to help.   ;D

Blake
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

Saber 4

Welcome from the neighborhood and welcome to Texas. You've gotten some excellent advice so far, I would add that you need to keep your vent open at all times, keep that vent open! We like mesquite, apple and pecan the most with some hickory and oak for heavier meats. You are close to 2 Cabela's and they stock a good variety of woods in the 24 and 48 packs along with seasonings and other needs. If you go to the Allen store talk to Jeff he is very knowledgeable and helped me out a bunch when I first got mine, he hunts and smokes and does all the good stuff we do. I'm about an hour and half southeast of you so if you need some help with anything PM me and I'll get you my contact info so you have a voice on the phone or a quick local email if you need it. As for seasonings we like Bolner's Fiesta Brand Texas Style Steak seasoning on our ribs with a little brown sugar added on top right before going in, you should be able to find it in a local Albertsons or Kroger, I get mine at a local walmart but not all walmart's carry it.

beefmann

welcome aboard,,, above  has you   set  straight

Skishy

Welcome to the forum from Eastern Washington!
"Hail to the King, baby!" - Bruce Campbell

2 - 4 rack OBS
1 - Brinkmann Pellet Smoker
1 - Masterbuilt Charcoal smoker

mattyb9977

Thanks again everyone.  Saber 4, thanks for the advice.... There is a Cabellas within distance... I'll get some more bisquettes. 

rveal23

Welcome from So Cal.. Smoking will become your new BFF
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Saber 4

Quote from: mattyb9977 on September 18, 2013, 09:42:45 AM
Thanks again everyone.  Saber 4, thanks for the advice.... There is a Cabellas within distance... I'll get some more bisquettes.

Hollar if you need any help getting started.

mahto

Welcome from Westminster this forum is full of ways to prepare what you want to smoke as I also have my first smoker an enjoy it brings flavor to meats or cheese  hot or cold smoking
tu amigo
mahto

NorthShoreMN

Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

pz

Welcome Matt!  I too have the OBS and enjoy the food that it is able to produce, although I have mostly made cheese so far.  Because it literally and figuratively is a "black box", I purchased the Auber dual probe so I could better control and monitor temperature.  I think it is definitely a worthwhile investment.
My online cookbook: good food & friends