• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Ragweed's Jerky Rounds for Paducah!

Started by Saber 4, September 15, 2013, 02:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

I wanted to try a batch of Joe's jerky rounds with a different seasoning than Nepas made for Paducah so I picked up 5lbs of 90/10 at Sam's because their roasts didn't look all that good yesterday. Mixed it up last night with a bottle of Kikkoman Original Teriyaki Marinade, 3 tbls of Rodak's Mustard Fusion Sauce, 5.5g of Cure #1 by weight and 1 tbls of kosher salt.

A big thanks to terry08 for his suggestion in Joe's post of making a roll in foil because I picked up the wrong 3" casing that were way to short for this project, not to mention I forgot to pick up hog rings and ring pliers.

Got it all sliced up and in the dehydrator, next time I'll either have the right casings or cut my roll into smaller sections to freeze because it wasn't quite frozen enough all the way through to slice as thin as I wanted so my pieces are a little thicker than I wanted so I'm sure my drying time will be longer. The smell in the house is making me hungry.

A question for Joe, Rick or anyone else who has made this recipe, do you use the same bend method to tell doneness? or do you have another test?

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ragweed

From previous dryings, I have a pretty good idea how long it will take to dry, but I always used the bend test to determine if it's done.  And for what it's worth, I'd be careful not to use GB with much fat in it.  The resulting jerky could be on the greasy side.  When I have to use beef instead of deer, I buy the round and grind it myself.  BTW, your jerky looks good and I don't think it's too thick.  Should be real good!

NePaSmoKer

Saber 4

Quote from: ragweed on September 15, 2013, 02:32:56 PM
From previous dryings, I have a pretty good idea how long it will take to dry, but I always used the bend test to determine if it's done.  And for what it's worth, I'd be careful not to use GB with much fat in it.  The resulting jerky could be on the greasy side.  When I have to use beef instead of deer, I buy the round and grind it myself.  BTW, your jerky looks good and I don't think it's too thick.  Should be real good!

Thanks, I got the leanest 90/10 I could find they didn't have any decent round that wasn't stringy looking and had a lot of fat in the muscle. It's been in for 6 hours now at 155, at 90 minutes I turned the racks, at 3 hours I turned the racks and flipped the rounds over, at 4 1/2 hours I turned the racks again and at 6 hours I rotated the racks and flipped the rounds over again. I can see the fat and moisture oozing out, they are still soft in the middle so I know I have a while to go. They are probably close to a 1/2" thick, how thick are yours and how long do they usually take?

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 15, 2013, 03:24:00 PM
Yum

I'm your huckleberry  ;D

They are smelling good Huck

beefmann

ragweed

I try to cut them between 1/4 & 3/8 of an inch.  Sometimes, when I get in a hurry they're closer to 1/2.  Usually they're done by 6 1/2 hours in my Nesco's.  No thermostat, just an on/off switch.  I tried to get a temp the last time I made jerky.  They were running between 150 & 155 F.  My yields have been 46 to 49%.

Saber 4

I think my issue is they are a little thicker, I wanted the 1/2 to 3/8 you look for but I also am probably closer to 4" diameter since I had to roll by hand in foil, I may try to cut one down the middle and see if I can thin them down and have a wet side to dry faster on the next rotation. Thanks for the help.

Saber 4

Well, it worked I split them down the middle and put them back on the racks cut side up and into the dehydrator, I'll check them in about 2 hours and they should be done or close to it. They're at 9 hours now, they were to large diameter and a little to thick but should be just right with a little southern engineering. :P

Saber 4

Quote from: Saber 4 on September 15, 2013, 08:58:32 PM
Well, it worked I split them down the middle and put them back on the racks cut side up and into the dehydrator, I'll check them in about 2 hours and they should be done or close to it. They're at 9 hours now, they were to large diameter and a little to thick but should be just right with a little southern engineering. :P

Slept a little to long and took them out at 12 1/2 hours, probably an hour to long. The taste is good but I should have split them in the first hour or two so that both sides would have finished and looked the same, the cut side was already starting to dry some when I split them at 8 1/2 hours. Also had a cinnamon raisin crusty bread in the oven and it ended up in the same picture.

Got 9 bags of ten pieces each sealed up and ready to travel.

Tenpoint5

Saber knowing this group like we do. As long as it tastes good they wont care what it looks like!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ragweed

They look like they'd be tasty, tasty!  With all the food going to and at Paducah, do you need my address to ship some of the leftovers?

Saber 4

Quote from: ragweed on September 16, 2013, 10:20:40 AM
They look like they'd be tasty, tasty!  With all the food going to and at Paducah, do you need my address to ship some of the leftovers?

Joe, it wouldn't hurt to have your address, never know what might show up on your doorstep...

pensrock

Sounds like they will have enough food they will not even make it to the BBQ.  ;D

STLstyle

Quote from: pensrock on September 16, 2013, 01:37:45 PM
Sounds like they will have enough food they will not even make it to the BBQ.  ;D

No kidding.  Save some room to graze at the bbq!
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo