How to Mod?

Started by GusRobin, September 20, 2013, 07:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

I have a friend that is getting the OBS, new version. He wants to mod it to add the second element and add a shut off switch for the element. Between us we have done this mod on 3 other OBS units but they were the original version.
Is the mod the same for the new version? Or is there a difference- if so, what?
Can the dual probe PID be used on the new version and control the smoke generator?
Can the smoke generator be shut off and the elements still be "on" using the PID or does the wiring of the new version prevent this?
thanks
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Grouperman941

Not sure about the mod, but my PID definitely controls the smoke generator separately from the element I have to set it for when smoke goes on and off.

I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

beefmann

Gus,  wait till you  get it and check it  out,,, I do not  know of any  differences on the tower,,, the smoke generator has changed so we  have easy access from the  front i  believe ... no  other  changes  that  im aware of

Habanero Smoker

Since the temperature control is now located in the generator, this may present a problem, when you want to run without a PID. There would be no problem wiring the cabinet with an additional element with and On/Off switch, and the PID can control one or both elements. When you want to run without the PID, turn the second element off and plug the cabinet into the back of the generator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Gus

Here are some pics of the BS611.