• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Not heating up

Started by BBQ Bud, May 29, 2006, 10:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBQ Bud

Guys,
   New to the BS - but been smoking on a very large homemade smoker for years - and my problem is I can't get the BS to heat up past 200 degrees, even with nothing in it.  Bought the first one, smoked 8# prime rib at 160 degrees for many hours because it wouldn't heat above 160.  Vent is 1/3 to 1/2 open all the time (never fully closed).  I returned unit because I thought it was broke and wouldn't heat up.  New unit wouldn't reach 200 during "seasoning and prep" stage with nothing in it - and the wife and I waited one hour for it to reach 170 degrees with nothing in it.  Changed plugs (even extension cord to shed where I have tons of power and nothing plugged in) thinking bad plug, but nothing changed.  Did smoke salmon and chicken yesterday, and after 4 hours the temperature in the smoker was up to 170 degrees.  Read that some smokers get to 250 degrees - but mine won't do that with nothing in it (including no water in the pan to provide moisture).  Know to let meat reach room temperature, know to heat the water in the pan to boiling prior to putting it in, etc. - but don't know what to do to get temperature to 210 (my preferred temp).  Help?   Thanks.

Oldman

Greetings Bud,

Dang you are talking to a guy who gets an easy 305 F.  (I do like in Florida.)  I take it you have an Bradley Original style unit and not a digital.

Try this. Place your unit in a dark place. Power your heat element directly. (don't plug into the generator.) Generator off.  Move rheostat control slider all the way to the right. Give it two minutes. Open the door. In the dark the element should be glowing bright orange/red. If not then call Toll Free: (800) 665-4188 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. PST Monday through Friday. Explain the problem.

If it is glowing bright then connect it to the generator, and repeat the two minute test.  If it is not glowing bright then make note of it and explain that to Bradley.

Have no worries, Bradley is the best at standing behind their units.

Sorry that I could not be of more help.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BBQ Bud

Olds,
   U-D-MAN!  Plugged unit directly into outlet and immediately achieved red element and temperature reached 150 in about 7 minutes.  Plugged in generator (now I have both plugged in to outlet, unit not plugged into smoke generator) and reached my 210 degrees in about 15 minutes.  Whew, was beginning to think I was too incompetent to operate the BS.  Thanks a bunch - and if I have to operate it with both the unit and smoker plugged directly to outlet that is fine with me.  Not sure what was going on prior, but I think we fixed 'er.....

Thanks again.....

Oldman

Bud,
I would still call Bradley.  Something is not correct with your generator's wiring.  Plus when going direct you are bypassing the fuse.

If it comes to it that they send to you a new generator keep the old one for parts. The gear motor in some units goes out and finding a replacement is tough.

Good Luck
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!