Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

Thanks Robert will be making these on Sunday
Scott

Saber 4

Quote from: seemore on December 07, 2013, 06:03:18 PM
Thanks Robert will be making these on Sunday
Scott

Hope you like it as much as we do, I've got to make several batches on Monday so they have time to rest before Christmas. I don't know how many batches I'll be able to make since I bought a couple of large multi packs of cereal, peanuts and pretzels at Sam's. I may be mixing and smoking all day.

UncleAl

Made a double batch yesterday for Christmas. Thanks for the recipe.

seemore

Robert, Thanks this rocks! I made my first batch last Sunday and one yestersay. 
The one I made last Sunday had mesquite smoke on it. 
On the batch I made yesterday, I added 1 Tablespoon  of ground chipotle.  I also used apple smoke on this batch.
Both batches are addictive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scott

Saber 4

Quote from: seemore on December 15, 2013, 08:25:37 AM
Robert, Thanks this rocks! I made my first batch last Sunday and one yestersay. 
The one I made last Sunday had mesquite smoke on it. 
On the batch I made yesterday, I added 1 Tablespoon  of ground chipotle.  I also used apple smoke on this batch.
Both batches are addictive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scott

Glad to hear you liked it so much Scott, I've made 2 batches for Christmas that I have mellowing in Ziploc bags (have to keep them under lock and key) I did mine with apple this time also and it turned out great. I turned on the element and set it to 200 because I wanted more smoke than I was getting but I forgot to rotate racks so half a rack nearest the element got a bit over done, but the dogs enjoyed it. The chipotle sounds like a great addition, I bet you don't buy any chex mix at the store anymore.

Robert

TedEbear

I have a batch of this on the Bradley right now with 3 hours of cherry smoke.  On my previous double batch my wife doesn't much care for the pretzel sticks so this time I substituted little pretzel squares.  She said she also really liked the pecans and Cheerios so I added some extra of each of those this time.

2 more hours to go and after reading the last few comments I am reminded that I should maybe go out and rotate the racks.  Our dog gets enough snacks.   :)

tailfeathers

That's the beauty of this recipe. I eliminated the pretzels all together, halved the peanuts, doubled the pecans and put in extra of all the cereals. I like to bake it in the oven first then cold smoke because I had the same issue with overdone mix that the dogs ended up with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Saber 4

I had to make my last 2 batches without pecans because this was a bad harvest year and we didn't get the big package we usually get from one of Judy's client's at work. It is a very versatile recipe, after the holiday's I may try a batch with half the Worcestershire sauce and some of Rodak's mustard fusion chipotle sauce for a nice bite. Those of our friends in the Paducah area might even try it with some Starnes in it.

TedEbear

Here's the latest batch I just finished 1/2 hour ago.  The cherry smoke turned out really well.  I put it in the oven at 275*F for 40 minutes and then into the Bradley at 180*F for 3 more hours with cherry smoke the whole time.

When I smoked it with hickory the last time it had a very powerful smoky flavor that eventually calmed down a bit after two weeks in the Ziplock bags.  This batch tastes great right out of the smoker.  I'm still going to seal most of what I made and let it settle for a few weeks.

Saber 4

I like those little pretzel squares, I tried the mini pretzel twists but they were to big so I had gone back to the sticks. I will have to look for them for the next batch.

TedEbear

Quote from: Saber 4 on December 15, 2013, 05:44:06 PM
I like those little pretzel squares, I tried the mini pretzel twists but they were to big so I had gone back to the sticks. I will have to look for them for the next batch.

You probably saw this in another thread but here are the pretzel squares I substituted for the pretzel sticks in the recipe.  My wife likes these because of their buttery flavor and they aren't as salty.  They also make regular pretzel squares if someone doesn't want the buttery taste.

And here's an idea of what to do with any leftover squares.  I just made these today as a test for a Christmas dinner snack. Really good. Recipe site: REESE'S Pretzel Snacks

Habanero Smoker

TedEbear;

Not to highjack this thread, but yesterday a made a big batch of Rolo Turtles. It is the same concept but you use Rolo's and roasted pecans. I was going to use smoked spiced pecans, but the weather has not been too cooperative. I've also was going to make some out of Macadamia Clusters, but Costco was out of them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Saber 4

I'm going to start looking for those squares on my next trip to the store, if I can find both I'm going to try a batch with each, I bet the butter ones are great smoked. I'd have to buy an extra bag to make those neat candies because the cooks hand empties the leftover pretzels while I'm making chex mix.

TedEbear

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 22, 2013, 01:31:19 AM
Not to highjack this thread, but yesterday a made a big batch of Rolo Turtles. It is the same concept but you use Rolo's and roasted pecans.

My wife, who is a caramel addict, mentioned doing a batch with the Rolos yesterday she saw the ones I made.  Those are about all gone today, so I might head to the store and get some Rolos and pecans.  I bet they won't last too long, either. 

SiFumar

Those candy topped pretzels do look good!