after smoking ham storage.

Started by don24, October 08, 2013, 06:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don24

first of all "hey you guys" ive been gone a while and starting back up. ok want to cure and smoke a ham and I know that resting for at least a week is best. how long can a smoked and cured ham be stored. I've got next week off and its gonna be my only real chance for the long smoke needed for a ham and would like to get my Christmas ham done if I wont be a problem.

beefmann

hey  Don,

go ahead and cure your  ham for 7 days, if you  can  use a  wet cure for 7 days, then  slice and vac seal it all .. then  just a  reheat,,, Now id you  can vac seal it  whole with  out cutting it  great,

i have cured, smoked and  sealed ham, Canadian bacon,. pastrami for up to  6  months  with no  problems..

wet cure :

1/2 gal apple cider
1/2 gal water
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 - 1 cup brown sugar
3 oz insta cure # 1 ( by  weight not volume )4 tbsp onion powder
4 tbsp garlic powder
3 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp ground cloves

mix together  let  set, remove foam...  mix again, let set and  remove foam... prep  pork ham  shank  or boston shoulder, , then  back to cure remove any  foam and  mix again,,,  place  meat into  Tupperware  container   or bucket  pour  mix one last  time ( very  important  here .. some of the seasonings  will  sink to the bottom ) and pour over the  meat...  place into  fridge and let stand 24 hours,,, then once a day rotate  top to bottom

rub ( optional )

2 1/2 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp ground cloves
2 1/2 tbsp ground mustard
can  double for larger  cuts

good  luck

Tenpoint5

If you planning on reheating the whole ham in the oven. Then you can pull the ham out of the smoker at 145, since you'll be heating to 152-155 before serving. If your planning on slicing and serving as cold sandwiches then wait to pull until 152.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

don24

I don't have a vacseal machine (looks like I should). after smoking it gets wrapped in many layers of plastic wrap. what would you say is the longest it can stay that way.

Habanero Smoker

The current USDA recommended internal temperature for a fully cooked/smoked cured ham is 145°F. The lasted USDA reheating instruction for fully cooked cured hams is to reheat at 325°F to an internal temperature of 140°F; though they add this temperatures is recommended for USDA inspected hams.

For storage, to have the maximum amount of safety, it shouldn't be stored no longer than 7 days in the refrigerator, but I have gone two weeks. After that time it should be moved to the freezer.

For large cuts of meat injecting the ham with 10% brine/cure is recommended, and helps speed up the curing process.

Using a plastic wrap will work, but you should add a layer of foil on the outside that helps keep the plastic wrap from loosening, and as air tight as possible. It can be stored for about 6 months in the freezer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)