• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork Butt and 9x13 water pan

Started by Bdogggut34, October 12, 2013, 08:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bdogggut34

Been reading the wealth of information on this site in preparation for my first 9 lb pork butt. Currently in the fridge with a good coating of Jan's Rub. The plan is Apple smoke 4hrs at 220 then continue at 220 until internal temp reaches 190-205.

Of course the small bowl for catching the pucks is small and needs changed. I've see the suggestion of changing the bowl after the 4hrs of smoke with a 9x13 hot water pan.....I've also read to just start with the 9x13 water pan to catch the pucks and that should last the entire cooking time.

My question is....on preheating the DBS, why couldn't I stick the water bowl to catch pucks AS WELL AS a 9x13 full water pan on the bottom rack, let the DBS come up to temp of 220....then insert the pork butt. That way when the 4hrs smoke is over I just quickly remove the water bowl but already have a heated 9x13 pan of water on the bottom rack to cover water for the rest of the cooking process??? Is there an affect of too much water in the cabinet by having the water bowl and 9x13 at the same time in there, VENT WIDE OPEN of course? Just curious why I havent seen this more.

GusRobin

Doing it that way you will also have a 9X13 filled with grease. Besides, if you start with a water bowl and a 9X13 it will take a longer time to get to temp in the beginning. So you pay the piper in the beginning or when you switch.
Part of why I switch is the fact that you not only have a water bowl filled with spent pucks, it is also filled with grease drippings.

8 lb butts at 220 usually takes me between 14-22 hrs depending upon the stubbornness of the pig. So I cook overnight. I start at 8pm with a 9X13 pan of hot water (almost boiling), do 4 hrs of  smoke, at midnight I change the water (using hot almost boiling water), go to sleep, wake at about 7 -8 am, check the butt and change the water again.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TedEbear

I replaced the small water bowl with a 9x13 pan a few years ago.  I start out with the pan, empty the water and pucks after the initial smoking process, fill it with fresh water and continue cooking.  I still have the small bowl around somewhere, I just never use it.

Bdogggut34

Thanks...makes sense about having the water with grease in it. I was worried about the temp drop of adding the water later on...but I guess if I throw some water on the stove and heat it up it'll lessen that affect.

We'll see what happens.

pokermeister

I use a 9 x 9 x 2 pan, and that leaves the perfect amount of space for a foil wrapped brick to aid in heat recovery. Hope this helps.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

Saber 4

Quote from: GusRobin on October 12, 2013, 09:09:05 PM
Doing it that way you will also have a 9X13 filled with grease. Besides, if you start with a water bowl and a 9X13 it will take a longer time to get to temp in the beginning. So you pay the piper in the beginning or when you switch.
Part of why I switch is the fact that you not only have a water bowl filled with spent pucks, it is also filled with grease drippings.

8 lb butts at 220 usually takes me between 14-22 hrs depending upon the stubbornness of the pig. So I cook overnight. I start at 8pm with a 9X13 pan of hot water (almost boiling), do 4 hrs of  smoke, at midnight I change the water (using hot almost boiling water), go to sleep, wake at about 7 -8 am, check the butt and change the water again.

This is pretty much how I do it, I use my wife's teakettle to bring the water to a boil, then by the time I walk outside with it's not boiling but pretty close and since water boils at 212 F it is pretty close to your set point of 220 when you put it in.