• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Vent Smoker Outside

Started by JDQR, October 17, 2013, 01:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDQR

I'm wondering if anyone has there smoker in a detached garage and vents it outside?  I'm thinking of either a metal dryer pipe/vent going outside right from the top of the unit or installing a stove exhaust hood over the unit (not sure I would want to have the hood running for 5 or 6 hours). 

I can't see the smoke being a fire hazard?

Any concern I'm not thinking about?

cheers

beefmann

yes, several people have done just that ,,, with ab out a foot between the smoker and vent hood, then a  foot or so of pipe,,,  90 ' and  out the wall

tskeeter

I have one of those plastic sheds I use for a smoker house and that's what I did.  Figured out where the smoker was going to sit and cut a hole in one of the roof panels.

My vent pipe runs vertically from the smoker through the roof.  If I was doing it over, I'd go through a wall, and then up.  The reason for this is that it took three or four tries at different approaches to get everything water tight.  The roof panels of the shed have troughs that stiffen the panels.  Those channel rain water under the boot around the vent stack and into/on top of the smoker.  Similar things are a possibility if you cut a vent through the roof of your garage.  Since most walls are protected by an overhang, coming out through the wall puts your hole in a less vulnerable spot and any water that might get behind the boot flashing will probably just drain out the bottom of the flashing.

TedEbear

Quote from: JDQR on October 17, 2013, 01:19:40 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has there smoker in a detached garage and vents it outside?

Building for Your Smoker