A little this, a little that...

Started by Ka Honu, October 24, 2013, 12:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ka Honu

Decided to play with lots of toys and experiment a bit.  Started by using the A-Maze-N Smoker in the Bradley to smoke some beef ribs and resmoke a cut up brisket point for burnt ends.  Put paprika and salt on filters to fill the leftover space on the top rack.  Part of the experiment was to get an idea of how hot the Bradley gets with the A-Maze-N Smoker running so I could see if I can use it for cold-smoking cheese.  Answer - cabinet temp read about 100°F so I guess it's doable with an ice bath.

Then fired up the PBC for some brined & rubbed chicken thighs. 

Cooked for 45 minutes and replaced them with the ribs and (now sauced) burnt ends.

Sent SWMBO out sailing with friends (along with her cooler of veggies and grapes) and called a couple of the guys over for "greens-free man food" and beer.

Sometimes you just gotta do it that way.

beefmann

some good looking grub you  have there Ka Honu,, bet it was as great at it looks

devo

Sounds like a perfect day to me, good looking grub as well.

Saber 4

That was a busy day you had there. That was my experience with the AMZN-PS, still had to have an ice bath. I'm going to try a few more runs when it cools down, we're still hitting mid 80's during the day here.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: Saber 4 on October 24, 2013, 07:35:34 AM
That was a busy day you had there. That was my experience with the AMZN-PS, still had to have an ice bath. I'm going to try a few more runs when it cools down, we're still hitting mid 80's during the day here.

Any type of cold smoker adapter with the AMAZN PS works perfect for keeping the temps down. No ice needed provided the ambient temp isn't over 85F.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Saber 4

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on October 24, 2013, 07:45:24 AM
Quote from: Saber 4 on October 24, 2013, 07:35:34 AM

Any type of cold smoker adapter with the AMAZN PS works perfect for keeping the temps down. No ice needed provided the ambient temp isn't over 85F.

Thanks, I'll try and rig something up

Ka Honu

If you have a cold smoke adapter you might not need ice since the distance from the cabinet bleeds off most of the heat (just like when I'm using my Bradley smoke generator and a hose).  If you're burning the pellets in the smoke chamber like I did here, you'd need something.

Saber 4

Quote from: Ka Honu on October 24, 2013, 12:48:09 PM
If you have a cold smoke adapter you might not need ice since the distance from the cabinet bleeds off most of the heat (just like when I'm using my Bradley smoke generator and a hose).  If you're burning the pellets in the smoke chamber like I did here, you'd need something.

That's what I've figured out to, I may end up building a cold smoke unit with my spare SG so it won't matter what temp is outside, I hope

pokermeister

I have used an AMZMPS several times for smoking cheese, no ice, and never had the cabinet temp over 85. Hope this helps. Ambient temperature plays a big role in this.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!