• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cure?

Started by Thompsoncentre, October 27, 2013, 08:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thompsoncentre

This may be a silly question.
I am starting to do more and more processing and I'm trying to move away from kits like high mountion etc. I am gonna do an order for casings threw lems and pretty well have all my seasonings stocked. The only thing I'm unsure about is cure. I'm in Canada and I was told it is called something different here? Anyways the only thing I will be using it for is sausage, pepperonic etc. what type of cure do I need and what's the ration people use? I see lems has a 4oz pack for 2 bucks. Is that the route I should go?
Any help will be highly appreciated

Tenpoint5

If your making a lot of sausage then I would order the 1 or 5 pound tubs from someplace like the sausage maker. If your just doing it every now and then. I would suggest the smaller packets.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Gafala

Quote from: Thompsoncentre on October 27, 2013, 08:41:28 AM
This may be a silly question.
I am starting to do more and more processing and I'm trying to move away from kits like high mountion etc. I am gonna do an order for casings threw lems and pretty well have all my seasonings stocked. The only thing I'm unsure about is cure. I'm in Canada and I was told it is called something different here? Anyways the only thing I will be using it for is sausage, pepperonic etc. what type of cure do I need and what's the ration people use? I see lems has a 4oz pack for 2 bucks. Is that the route I should go?
Any help will be highly appreciated

If you are getting casing's from LEM try there MORTON CURING SALTS.

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

beefmann

Thompsoncentre

Thanks guys. So it's called #1 cure?

devo

Yes cure #1 is what you want unless you start getting into dry cured sausage than it's called cure #2 but thats a whole new learning experience  ;)

You might want to read over this page at the recipe site.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?736-Curing-Salts

Thompsoncentre

Thanks that was very helpful!