• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hello fellow smoking enthusiasts !

Started by Fish Whisperer, October 30, 2013, 06:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish Whisperer

Mark, from Toronto, Ontario, Canada (originally from British Columbia)

Question; I don't recall the concern regarding leaving the damper closed (moisture build up and fluid damaging the unit?)  I did a brisket on the weekend and it was incredible, but yes I had fluid leaking out the bottom of the unit at the front.  Should I be concerned?

Gafala

Thats known as Black Rain, not good. Always leave your vent open, leave your vent open, leave your vent open, leave your vent open.

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Saber 4

Quote from: Gafala on October 30, 2013, 06:50:53 PM
Thats known as Black Rain, not good. Always leave your vent open, leave your vent open, leave your vent open, leave your vent open.

X2, X2, X2, X2

TedEbear

LOL - I've heard that if you don't leave your vent open it can lead to black rain.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

Habanero Smoker

Hi Fish Whisperer;

Welcome to the forum.

As others have stated you should not cook with your vent fully closed. Some leave it wide open, and others adjust the opeing to the amount of food they are cooking.

Keeping the vent fully closed will force smoke, and moisture to backup into the generator, building up grime and the possibility of damage due to too much moisture. If you have the OBS, liquid leaking out of the door can damage the circuit board on your temperature slider.

The other problem is if you have it too closed, you will cause condensation inside the smoker; which it referred to a "black rain"; the liquid that was dripping out of the bottom of the door. Also if the moisture inside of your smoker reaches the point of condensation it is at that point the temperature inside the smoker will begin to drop, because more energy is used to convert the liquid (form by condensation) back into steam. So keep your vent open enough to prevent condensation inside the smoker, and you will prevent black rain, and temperature drop.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Jim O

- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

beefmann

welcome aboard, as others has indicated keep the vent open, it helps to remove moisture

ragweed

By now you've probably figured out that you should leave the top vent wide open!  LOL  Well, they're right.  I used to mess with the vent in my OBS hoping I could raise or lower the box temp as needed.  Then I started having problems with my smoke generator and saw a few drips of "black rain".  Since I've left the vent open, I've seen no dreaded black drops of moisture and the need to control the temps has been reduced.  If I'm patient, the temps will recover.  BTW...welcome to the forum from Nebraska.

NorthShoreMN

Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Fish Whisperer

Hey thanks everyone.  I am guessing I should leave the vent open  ;)  I actually found that info searching too.  Next question, after only two sessions with some black rain leaking out, will i have done any damage?  It seems to work fine, and is dry inside.  I did two pork shoulders last weekend and they were to DIE for.  When I went to remove them from the rack to pull them apart they fell apart just trying to move them.  One was a little dry underneath, so maybe next time I'll turn them part way through.  Cheers, and thanks again for the welcome !

Saber 4

Since everything seems to be working now I don't think you did any damage. Rotating the racks every few hours will help with the cooking and drying out on the bottom. Glad things are working out for you and the pig was good.

KyNola

I don't recall which model of the Bradley you own.  If it is the digital or the new "original" model, you most likely caused no damage to the unit.  If it is the original version with the slide controller under the door it is "possible" that some of the fluid "may" have found its way into that area and over the long term damage the controller.  As Saber said, if you have used it since and it functioned fine hopefully there is no damage done.

I'm glad you posed the question so we could help you out.